Worcester Bosch woes

WB Greenstar 28i Junior, about 5 yrs old.

After about 5 minutes in the shower the boiler goes into lockout with red light flashing once a second, blue light flashing once for every 2 flashes of the red, and water goes cold.

Pressing the reset button brings it back until next time. Doesn't do it every time but getting more and more frequent, with time to lockout getting shorter.

Pressure in heating loop at ~1.5 bar.

Googling shows this is a common complaint but doesn't offer much in the way of help. There seem to be several variants of this model with no common fix for the fault.

Might be relevant: the boiler had two replacement heat exchangers under warranty but has been OK for the past ~3yrs.

Any ideas, please?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Our WB started playing up right after it was serviced. Turns out some electrical contact was half on and half off. Your intermittent fault might be something similar. IME WB are pretty fair when it comes to design faults. They didn't charge me for a leaking pump that had obviously been cross threaded from new. Trouble is, it costs you £200+ to find out. IME they do change the

3 most likely components to fail as part of the fixed price call out, so in some ways it's not that bad a deal.
Reply to
stuart noble

OTOH, mine needed a new PCB, just outside the warranty period, an cost be about £250 :-(

How many years' increased efficiency did I waste there?

Has anybody ever done a total cost of ownership comparison between modern and old-style boilers? They may have been inefficient, but with little more than a lump of cast iron, a thermocouple and a gas valve, the upkeep was very affordable.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

You should have called geoff.