Worcester Boiler pressure question

Hi all,

Well I added a couple of new rads to my CH system and that seems to have up= set my Worcester Greenslave combi boiler. To cut a long story short, when I= repressurised the boiler using the cold mains inlet valve, I did accidenta= lly allow the pressure gauge on the boiler to go up to 2.5 bar and remain t= here for quite a while until I managed to get it down to 2 bar. I gather it= should read between 1 and 1.5 bar so it's still too high. I read I can get= this pressure down by bleeding more rads if it's necessary. I haven't bled= the boiler as AFAIK it's not necessary. Anyway, the boiler's thrown out water from somewhere inside itself which ha= s spilled onto the kitchen floor. Could this leak be due to the pressure be= ing on the high side, do you think? If so, why don't they have an overflow = to take care of this possibility?

Reply to
orion.osiris

upset my Worcester Greenslave combi boiler. To cut a long story short, when= I repressurised the boiler using the cold mains inlet valve, I did acciden= tally allow the pressure gauge on the boiler to go up to 2.5 bar and remain= there for quite a while until I managed to get it down to 2 bar. I gather = it should read between 1 and 1.5 bar so it's still too high. I read I can g= et this pressure down by bleeding more rads if it's necessary. I haven't bl= ed the boiler as AFAIK it's not necessary.

has spilled onto the kitchen floor. Could this leak be due to the pressure = being on the high side, do you think? If so, why don't they have an overflo= w to take care of this possibility?

There will be a relief valve (safety valve) somewhere. It has lifted to get rid of the over pressure. So nothing to worry about. But you should reduce the system pressure to that which is recommended. This valve only operates in "emergency"

Lucky for you it was there!

Reply to
harry

my Worcester Greenslave combi boiler. To cut a long story short, when I repressurised the boiler using the cold mains inlet valve, I did accidentally allow the pressure gauge on the boiler to go up to 2.5 bar and remain there for quite a while until I managed to get it down to 2 bar. I gather it should read between 1 and 1.5 bar so it's still too high. I read I can get this pressure down by bleeding more rads if it's necessary. I haven't bled the boiler as AFAIK it's not necessary.

spilled onto the kitchen floor. Could this leak be due to the pressure being on the high side, do you think? If so, why don't they have an overflow to take care of this possibility?

There should be a pressure relief valve which allows water to spill to the outside world in the event of the pressure rising too high. It shouldn't spill onto the kitchen floor. Something is wrong somewhere!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Well I have at least now located the general area of the leak, thankfully. = There are two large vessels (both jacketed) at the base of the boiler and w= ater is seeping from a mid point where they butt up against each other towa= rds the front where the front panel (currently removed to permit inspection= )normally resides.

Unfortunately the jacketing and total lack of clearance it causes makes mor= e precise detection of the source of the problem impossible without removin= g the jackets - and that doesn't look at all easy.=20

However, the leak is intermittent so I'm guessing it's some sort of valve p= roblem rather than any crack in a vessel or split in a pipe. Got the instal= ler coming Friday so at least he'll have something to go on now...

Funny how these things always happen at Christmas. :(

Reply to
orion.osiris