Wood carving chisels for a beginner

Any recommendations for a basic set of chisels suitable for an absolute beginner to the craft. Not necessarily looking for a large set, but rather a small number of reasonable quality tools that are likely to last for a while! Thanks

Reply to
johno

For small scale work I got a nice set of (hand) gouges in a craft shop.

Make good work on lime/bass wood.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Amazon do several sets of basic tools but beware as they may come unsharpened. Sharpening tools like this can be a learning curve on its own.

Reply to
Ericp

idea what they are like.

Reply to
dennis

Small number of them, but good ones. Also sharpening kit.

No idea why, but the Flexcut ones (try Axminster) do seem simpler to use successfully when beginning.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

and a set of 3 crap ones so you are never tempted to use the good ones for levering, on wood with hidden nails and suchlike.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Sharpening tools like this can be a learning curve on its own. Sharpening any tool is a learning curve and a blunt tool is no good to man or beast. Gives one a good feel and appreciation for the tool, whatever it may be. Just my 2p's worth. Nick

Reply to
Nick

Thanks for all the replies, always good to have some suggestions. I am not a newbie to sharpening tools etc, just new to wood carving and fully agree with all the sentiments re blunt tools! Trying to find good secondhand tools is always a high priority for me, however I have not managed to find any wood carving chisels yet, just a very good set of chip carving tools. Tim, I would never dream of using a chisel to lever out a nail!, my grandfather would turn in his grave if I did (he was my mentor) and as all the timber I will be carving is from the raw, nails should not be an issue, but I take your point. Johno, I will check out the Aldi offer tonight on the way home, worth a punt at that price! I like the looks of the Flexcut set at Axminster Andy and will probably buy a set on payday :-)

Thanks again for the advice

Reply to
johno