woobly toilet seat

Hi,

Bit of a paint in the bum (bad pun) problem is that my toilet seawt keep s moving. No matter how tight I do the plastic nut up it eventually starts moving again.

Its one of those fancy coloured soft plastic ones from argos.

Anyone have any idea what I can do to secure it permanently ?

as it is its like bum snowboarding.

Thanks

Reply to
maxi

It's no joke. ;-)

The seats with a metal bar that joins the two hinges together seem to work far better. I have two WCs in the house and both have seats with bars. Neither has needed tightening in the last three years.

So the answer may be to buy a new toilet seat with a bar or just buy the hinge set and fit it to your existing seat, if suitable:

Bruce

Take it off and look where the bolts go through the toilet. There will be a gap, so either use loads of insulation tape around it or jam bits of wood or plastic in! That will stop the seat mounting moving. You must be really fat or doing something quite unusual to notice that much movement.

Reply to
Rob

I've got one that has the two downward bolts with plastic securing nuts and it doesn't move in any way . I got it from bes.co.uk

Reply to
stillnobodyhome

I've had this problem, and as has been said some designs are better than others.

A little silicone on the fittings seemed to help us.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I would also try some thread sealant on the screws which hold the hing to the top disc (it's these that seem to come undone). All in all I'd only guarantee the long term security of a seat with a bar joining the hinges.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Have the same trouble. The resin/plastic housing that takes the end of the hinge rod and the head of the bolt down through the pan moves outward allowing things to slop about. This is on an old loo and the rim of the bowl is slightly sloped inwards, the seat is new and the bump rubbers are quite hard and horizontal so they only touch the rim at the outside end.

The loo is placed just a little bit too close to a wall so one tends to sit at a slight angle. This applies a twisting force to the seat pulling the one hinge loose. Sufficient force to shear the original plastic hinge pin, the one in there now won't shear it has a 3 to 4 mm steel rod tightly fitted down the hole in the middle.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I solved this problem by making up some bushes to fill the holes in the pan so that the threaded rod would not move about

IIRC they were bits of gas bottle pipe inside a piece of garden hose

Tony

Reply to
TMC