Wireless network card advice please

ATM my PC computer is connected to my router via a cable, and the router is adjacent to a phone socket. But in the not-too-distant future it may not be practical to have the PC immediately adjacent to the router/phone socket, and I'm thinking about a wireless connection to the router. I see two options: a card that I plug into a spare PCI slot in the PC, or a dongle that plugs into a USB slot. Which should I go for and what are the advantages/disadvantages of the two options? Obviously, the latter is much simpler to fit, but I'm quite happy opening up the PC and fitting the former into a slot.

I see that some PCI cards have two and even three aerials; why more than one? Are they for different frequencies, or just to improve reception generally? I also see that some USB dongles have an aerial, others don't appear to; which is best?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Quite prone to getting knocked about.

They are for MIMO to give multiple radio paths between the access point and the client, for better bandwidth and/or reliability.

Only sed by newer WiFi standards such as 802.11n or 802.11ac, look for e.g 3x3 or 4x4 to see how many radios/aerials they have, no benefit unless both the access point and client have them.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Probably better to say no speed benefit unless they both have them, they could be used for diversity (to improve reception) if only one end has them.

Reply to
Andy Burns

That is not necessarily true.

one antenna at one end and three at the other has three distinct paths (in free space) in *both* directions.

That's still three paths.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Start with a cheap USB adapter and get a short extension too as just plugging it in the back may not be ideal. You don't really need an expensive setup if you are just using it for internet unless you have a fast cable connection.

What make is the router and who is your provider? Do you use anything like NAS boxes or printers on the network? Do you have USB 3?

Reply to
dennis

The multiple antenna are used for beam forming not multiple paths on

802.ac. It allows you to get better performance at range in some cases.
Reply to
dennis

I have a slow BT wire connection, not cable, not high-speed.

BT provided Home Hub 4 router.

No NAS boxes. A printer, but plugged into the computer via USB. I don't anticipate changing it.

No. Win 7 Home Premium, SP1, 32 bit, so nothing remotely sophisticated. I think your suggestion of cheap and cheerful is probably all I need.

Thanks.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Another option is powerline shit.

I am using it here for the smart TV and its good enough to stream video over.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm using a USB dongle on the end of a 5 m active USB cable to get round a similar problem on this laptop. I don'r get a good enough signal with the internal wifi. I can position fhe dongle for the best signal.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Howie

Have you checked the laptop internal aerial is plugged in?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A 2m basic USB cable to get the dongle away from the big metal chassis should be more than enough. Dongles down the back of a PC can struggle.

The other true DIY solution is a dongle with a removable high gain antenna and a DIY Pringles cantenna. You can work >500m with that. eg

This has worked for me at significant range ~400m.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Yes it's plugged in. It's ok at home, but I find crap hotel wifi benefits using the external dongle.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Howie

Many thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try a cheap USB dongle first, and see how it goes.

Reply to
Chris Hogg