Wireless door open warning

Some scrot stole my 2 drills after I accidently left the remote controlled garage door open.

Has anyone got an idea how I could make a wireless door open warning device connected to a lamp in the house? Preferably using ready made modules.

Does any company make such a device?

Thanks.

Reply to
chudford

ge

Thanks for that, but I also need a wireless link from the door to the house as the garage is detached.

Reply to
chudford

Presumably there's a power link, at least for the door. I think you can get X10 door contacts which will signal back across mains and possibly RF versions too. This could be used to operate an X10 switched light in the house. You could do the same with a motion detector in the garage, which would add a bit more detection over just the magnetic contents.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks for that, but I also need a wireless link from the door to the house as the garage is detached.

Adapt a wireless doorbell. Use a similar circuit to that suggested, have a magnetic contact on the door and have it hooked up to a relay. Connect the bell push to the common and normally closed contact. When there is power through the magnetic contact due to the door being closed, this will energise the relay and pull the normally closed contact away. When the contact opens your power to the relay will be lost, the relay will flick back and join the two terminals of the doorbell. It's a cheap and easy solution using inexpensive products. For the small circuit with the relay and megnetic contact you can use a small mains adaptor. This will not ensure you have secured the garage, but will warn when the door is open.

Reply to
Appollo

Could you not use the same type of module as used to operate the door but wired to relay that works the lamp, instead of to the door opening mechanism? That way, whenever you operate the door, you also switch the lamp. Of course, to allow for lamp failure, you ought to have it toggle between two lamps - one for door open and one for door closed.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Something like these

you mean?

Reply to
BigWallop

Thanks for the X10 idea. I have found just what I am looking for, its called a Garage Door Indicator.

Reply to
chudford

You connect it to the alarm. If its open when you set the alarm it flashes its little zone light.

.
Reply to
dennis

I use x10, x10 can often be turned on by built in 3 button garage door openers, have remote keychains, remote control, when I pull in the garage the x10 motion light turns on outside and inside lights one sensor triggers 3 more, its a system you can expand on even to operate by computer.

Reply to
ransley

[...]

You're saying chudford needs Alzheimers dementia care ;-) ?

Reply to
oh

He does forget the garage door is open. :-)

(sorry, must resist these urges. I must resist these urges. I only drink to make the voices go away.)

Reply to
BigWallop