window sill sealant

I have metal window sills (newish house), but on some the builders seemed to forget to seal the gap between the sill and the brick. This obviously lets water in, and I guess will cause rust and untold other damage. What sort of sealant should I use to fill this gap ? It's about 4mm (sorry, I was born post decimalisation).

Ian

Reply to
Ian Cornish

In article , Ian Cornish writes

Frame sealant (believe it or not ;-):

(brown)
(white) Flexible & paintable, try to get some squished in to the gap rather than just a smear over.

Reply to
fred

Well! I've never heard of that before. Steel doors, etc., yes - but...

Is it really necessary? No "drip" in the sill? If it's in ordinary masonry, it will be subject to enough damp to cause rust, anyway. I should *hope* it's galvanised. N.B. nothing lasts for ever.

Pre-decimalisation people should be able to deal with the conversion easily. Normally numerate people ditto. It's not very difficult, especially in these days when 98% or so of pupils get A at Maths. GCSE - or is it?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Usually just filled with mortar, but any exterior silicon will do.

Reply to
Dave Jones

In article , Dave Jones writes

If you use frame sealant then it has the advantage of being paintable, also tends to be a bit more resilient.

Reply to
fred

It is when you consider that the other 8% get B or lower ;-)

ETV

Reply to
Eric The Viking
-

Pre-decimalisation people should be able to deal with the conversion easily. Normally numerate people ditto. It's not very difficult, especially in these days when 98% or so of pupils get A at Maths. GCSE - or is it?-

-It is when you consider that the other 8% get B or lower ;-)-

err... 98% + 8% = 106% ?

clearly you are part of the 2%...

;-

-- Davide

Reply to
Davide

-=WHOOSH=-

Reply to
Rob Morley

LOL

Reply to
Eric The Viking

Well, he is posting from DIYBanter :-\

Reply to
Rob Morley

Well, he is posting from DIYBanter :-\

'course I am. Nothing wrong with that, I assume?

You may also notice I'm a junior member, and as such not used to suc subtle humour (yes, I missed the smiley after the 8%)..

-- Davide

Reply to
Davide

It screws up threading, quotes and attributions, and DIYBanter posters do seem to make multiple identical posts at times. It's a poor substitute for real newsgroup access - even Google Groups is better if used properly.

What's a junior member?

Reply to
Rob Morley

It screws up threading, quotes and attributions, and DIYBanter poster

do seem to make multiple identical posts at times. It's a poor substitute for real newsgroup access - even Google Groups is better if used properly.

Thanks for the advice. Will try to get some newsreader software to pos from now on.

What's a junior member?

I have no idea - I just noticed that my posts from DIYBanter carry thi label under my name; probably related to total number of postings

-- Davide

Reply to
Davide