Wierd running water sound......

Hi all,
I got up for a pee last night and in the quiet of the night, it sounded like there was water running downstairs. Not the actual sound of water, but sort of the "water under pressure" sound from the pipes. Just like it sounds when you have the washing machine on and you are in another room, you can hear a mid frequency "roar" from the pipes.
Anyway, when I go into the garage and the bathroom I can hear a background noise coming from the cold water pipes. Now, I would asume that if no water is running in the house, then the pipes should not make a sound. Am i right?
If not, then does this sound like I have a leak somewhere??
Cheers Mike
Mike Hibbert wrote:

Or your neighbours have...
Lee
--
To reply use lee.blaver and ntlworld.com

Did you flush the toilet?
--
Alan

water
right?
I had a similar problem hearing running water, I eventually traced it to my garden after suddenly getting a marsh under the kitchen window. I was in rented property and it turned out to be a leak at the outside stopcock. It took them ages to get the waterboard out to turn the estate water off so they could replace the stopcock!
Jim

No, you just had one
mike r
There was a great cartoon in Private Eye when Yorkshire Water was in trouble for leaky pipes. There was a YW man having a pee in a urinal and it was squirting out of the side of his dick through a row of holes. Oh well it was funny at the time

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 21:56:29 GMT, "Mike Hibbert"

You should have turned the opposite way and into the bathroom.... :-)

There could be an underground leak in the road or water flow at an adjoining property. Otherwise, have you checked all ball valves?

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

like
sort
when
water
right?
Turn everything off in the house, including your mains stopcock, and then listen again. If you can still hear it, then it is running somewhere else out with your property and you'll need to call the water company in to have it checked out.
On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 03:09:51 GMT, BigWallop wrote:

Then turn of your street stop cock and listen again. Hopefully it is now quiet otherwise the leak is in your service pipe and you'll have to pay for it to be repaired, insurance?

Or if the leak is at or just after the street stopcock, which is the boards responsibilty, they'll come and fix it for free.
Hope your not on a meter with the leak after it, a leak that you can hear singing will be "using" at lot of water...
And a tip to trace the noise, use a short length of something (1/2 dowel, pencil (bit narrow), broom handle (long and big) to touch on the pipework valve WHY and put the other end just in front of that little roundish sticky out bit just by your ear canal.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

I turned off the house stopcock and the noise continued, if I turn off the street stopcok and the noise stops then wouldn't this mean that the leak is in the service pipe then?

is
Or in another house supplied by the same stopcock. If the street cock only supplies your property, then the leak is somewhere between the street and the stopcock in your house.
On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 21:56:29 GMT, "Mike Hibbert"

"I can hear a background noise...".
The way I would approach this is to turn off every water consuming device in the house. Then put the sharp end of a screwdriver onto the pipe and the handle in your ear - this is a great way of listening to low intensity sounds, and will reveal whether there is water running or not.
You should be able to trace it from there I would think.
PoP

background
no water

i right?

the
It is almost certainly a leak, and the best way to find out if it is your responsibility (unless a shared supply) is to turn off the water at the stop cock in the street, then if the noise stops, the leak is somewhere on your property, or at the joint with the stop cock.
On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 21:56:29 GMT, "Mike Hibbert"

BTDTGTTS [1]
I had a similar sound going on for weeks in my previous house. Couldn't fully isolate the house water supply though, 'cos it had originally been 2 flats and there was 2 stopcocks in the kitchen - one for downstairs and one for up and I couldn't turn the upstairs one off.
Anyhoo, the problem eventually manifested itself when a corner of the yard partially collapsed and I gained a nice water feature - seems that a lead pipe originally intended for the outside bog (according to the water board) had been truncated and sealed by bashing the end with a mallet, then it had been concreted over.
It then sprang a leak and over time blasted away the aggregate until gravity took over!
Fortunately the water board capped it gratis and for nothing, so good on Northumbrian Water :) -- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs

like
sort
when
background
water
right?
Cheers all,
I think I will have a good old investigate at the weekend!
Where does my responsibility start and end? Who owns the pipe between the boundary stop and the kitchen stop?
cheers Mike

I guess you do.
Are you on a metered supply? If so, where is the meter? Can you read the meter before you go to bed, and again when you get up to see whether any water has been used?
Roger

between the

It is usually the water boards responsibility, from the street stop cock to the border of your property, then it is up to you, but some water boards will repair a leak foc if it is straightforward, even on your property.
--
Gavin Gillespie
Giltbrook

Hi Mike,

Could it be that the hot water in the HWC, etc., is cooling overnight, contracting, and you can hear the mains supply `whistleling' as the valve is slightly open in the loft?
Cheers,
--
Ralph Corderoy. http://inputplus.co.uk/ralph/ http://troff.org /