Why are power tools made in 110V and 240V?

NIME... If you look at screwfix, axminster, Lawson et al you will note that the 110V versions are almost always exactly the same price as the

240V versions.

The only difference is you don't get the same range of dribblesq cheap dross to choose from, since much of it is 230v only

Reply to
John Rumm

Which as you will obviously know makes the RCD less useful.

Reply to
John Rumm

Actually, the Wiring Regs do (BS7671) for all loads up to some power rating (3kW IIRC).

I presume this will change because the UK has been told it's not allowed to insist on _only_ 110V on construction sites. However, as a concession for having the lowest number of construction site electrocutions, we have been permitted to keep 110V supplies (EU originally wanted them completely removed).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Certainly madness with pressure washers. 2.9kw induction motor at 110v is a PITA, transformers weigh a ton, voltage drops, extn cables - aaargh!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Hmm fascinating.

So the EU wants us to do away with something that has a positive effect on safety because they didn't invent it.

And the EU wants us to implement Part P, sold on the grounds of safety by TB Liar, when it has very little to offer safety wise.

I see how this works now...

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

If you say "since the voltage is halved" then you imply it is a function of voltage. If you are talking about voltage drop along the cable then you should have said "since the current is doubled". For a given cable R then the cable voltage drop is I^2*R so for a doubling of current the absolute voltage drop is quadrupled.

I was thinking only in terms of the voltage at the input to the device. If drop in the supply cable is of concern then I suggest the supply is inadequate.

I know.

But who says the 120V tool has the same winding resistance as a 240V tool? If it has then I don't think we are comparing like with like in terms of the power output of the tool.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Are these low electrocutions attributed to 110v or double insulation and RCDs, etc? And greater safety awareness which the Brits tend to have to say any Latin race.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

No. They seen no need for it, as things have moved on since 1945.

You really should get your brainwashed, sycophantic, Tory mind seen to. You have nothing to gain by your muddled mind.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Its similar to when they got all excited about audio equipment using 4mm banana plugs for speaker connections. The problem was that the banana plugs were just the right size for small children to stick into European power outlets. Of course, the fact that European power outlets don't contain any protective shutters over the holes when they are not in use was irrelevant.

Reply to
Richard Conway

No sorry, I was not being clear. By the "voltage is halved" I was talking about the 110V Vs. the 230V supply difference not the amount of voltage drop. Hence the implication that a given voltage drop counts double in percentage terms. e.g. if you get 2.3V drop on a 230V system that is a 1% drop, but on a 110V system would be a 2% drop.

Or the cable...

It almost certainly won't have the same winding resistance if it is designed to develop the same power output. It is the accumulated incidental losses that will add up to slightly more unwanted dissipation in the tool. However the figures here are probably negligible.

Reply to
John Rumm

Don't you *ever* call me a Tory you cankerous festering used tampon!

Reply to
Tim S

Don you mean you are worse?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The message from Richard Conway contains these words:

But so are many nails. And screws. And the insides of biros. Are they going to ban everything?

Reply to
Guy King

That was my point - the socket outlets are the fundamentally flawed item

- not the perfectly safe banana plugs

Reply to
Richard Conway

The message from Richard Conway contains these words:

Perhaps they were just going to ban /bent/ banana plugs.

Reply to
Guy King

Lots of audio power amps can produce voltages which aren't considered 'safe' these days.

So an alternative output connector to banana plugs which is safe is no bad thing. Something like the Neutric Speakon.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

True, but at least getting a belt off a power amp has its advantages. For a start it'd be the only time I ever danced to the right rythym.

Reply to
Guy King

55V max WRT earth. I don't think RCD's are normally used (portable delicate safety critical devices which don't fail-safe on construction sites are not a good combination). Double insulation tends to be useless when someone hands you a power tool they just dropped into a puddle, or dropped off the scaffolding and the insides are all smashed up.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yes - seem if I was spinning a yarn and you are indeed correct.

For a slightly more authoritative source have a look at:

scroll down to "USA/Canada wiring regulations"

Ignore all the bits about Franklin discovering electricity and Edison inventing the light bulb. Didn't Swan's predate his patent?

Reply to
Fred

We have finally found the one who voted Bliar in by the look of it. :-)

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)