Where to get small mains motor for extract fan

I'm after a small mains motor to replace a failed on in an extract fan, I can't just replace the fan as there appears to be nothing remotely like it available now. (It's a centrifugal fan which extracts to a 2" diameter duct)

Where might be a good place to get a motor like this, all I have really is its dimensions. It's an induction motor and doesn't have a capacitor for starting. The manufacturer is Varley of Woolwich.

Reply to
usenet

Best hope is somewhere like 'Greenweld' - I'm pretty sure they have a website- or 'Proops' who have / had a place in London (Tottenham Court Rd as I recall). This type of place deals in surplus motors and you may be able to get something similar from them.

It might be worth asking in a one of the model engineering newsgroups- model engineers shop in places like this.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Good grief, does Proops still exist, I use to wander round there 50 years ago!

I have a Greenweld catalogue and will have a look around their website too.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Reply to
usenet

Mmm. Most model engineers use LV stuiff sadly.

If you could arraneg 12v DC it would be asy to find a suprlus cordless style motort.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hardly suitable for an extract fan I woudl have thought:-

Probably not brushless so will not be particularly long lasting.

Will probably be much noisier than a simple induction motor.

Reply to
usenet

Not as it was - the company was split up by old Mr Proops and although still trading (no longer in Totty Court Road) is now selling modern left overs and Chinese imports - no more Lancaster bomb sights.

Old Mr Proops kept Proops Educational Supplies and was still appearing at various engineering shows a year or so back although I haven't seen him recently.

For a motor try looking in this group for postings by geoff (one at Message-ID: ) and use the reply-to address in one of those messages to contact him - he has an interesting supply of such things!

Reply to
Peter Parry

me too, but not quite so long ago.

Nothing worth looking at on TCR now its full of hi-fi shops ripping off the tourists.

Reply to
BillR

Well that's been true for many years now of course.

Reply to
usenet

In message , snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk writes

Is it a shaded pole motor?

What is the shaft diameter

I've just bought 500, they might be suitable

Reply to
geoff

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dunno, is that how they make the type that starts without a capacitor?

There's a couple of what look like thick copper loops sort of in the laminations.

I'll have to check but I would guess somthing like 1/8".

I only need one! :-)

I'll try and remember when I get home to E-Mail you with some more detailed dimensions.

Reply to
usenet

That's the shaded pole

The motors I have are all 6mm shafts - probably too big for your requirement. How about going down to your local tip and see of there's an old record deck with a suitable motor inside

Reply to
geoff

Try looking up motor rewind companies in your local Yellow Pages - if it isn't feasable to re-wind it they will have all the contacts to source replacements

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

In message , Andrew Mawson writes

Do you realise how much it costs to get motors rewound (if you can find somewhere that still does it, that is)?

It is significantly cheaper for me to buy new motors rather than get old ones rewound

... Old record deck motor

Reply to
geoff

I thought they only rewound motors for trains and submarines these days.

Reply to
Toby

Yes Geoff I do realise how much it costs, having had several re-wound in the last couple of years:

a/ Fan for 1970's air duct gas c/h (1/10 hp) b/ Table drive motor for Bridgeport milling m/c (1/8 hp) c/ Main motors for Launderette washing machines (1 hp and 1.5 hp dual speed

3 phase perhaps 4 in the last 2 years) d/ Tumbler motors for Launderette driers ( 3/4 hp single phase maybe 1 per year)

In each case there was some unusual feature of the motor making sourcing a replacement difficult if not impossible.

The key point in my posting was '... if it isn't feasable to re-wind it they will have all the contacts to source replacements ..' - if the motor isn't available and you want the kit to keep running re-winding is the only choice if you cannot re-engineer to use an alternative.

I use two re-winders, one in West Norwood / Crystal Palace and the other just south of Lambeth Bridge - if you want contact details email me off line.

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson