where to get a stone that holds heat?

Page 2 of 2
Big Bill wrote:

There are some microwaveable rocks too. I think they are granite.
Steve
Big Bill wrote:

Open up any storage radiator.

Try a glass chopping board or two. Or, if you really want to be cheap, a 1 litre carton of whatever heated to near boiling.
You should be able to get a stone offcut from a monumental mason, free. Any old stone should work.
Regards, NT
On 14 Oct 2003 05:50:05 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk (N. Thornton) wrote:

I just ordered a marble slab. We'll see how I get on with that.
BB

OK but its limestone so don't use direct flame.
I am told soapstone is the stuff to use, apparently cooking pots can be made from it. Some cultures cook on "injera" which are directly flame heated ceramic hobs.
AJH
Andrew Heggie < snipped-for-privacy@dtn.invalid wrote:

In the Pacific they use heated stones to line a pit in the earth for feasts. IIRC basalt is much used, possibly by necessity on volcanic islands. Of course you get the advantage of insulation from the earth there too.
Peter
--
Peter Ashby
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 23:12:58 +0100, Andrew Heggie < snipped-for-privacy@dtn.invalid wrote:

According to Google injera is a kind of bread.
BB
Hello Big

Old night storage heaters. Free to collect quite often (except for chiropractor's fee) and contain many super-dense blocks.
--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK