When to skim V filler

Just taken wallpaper off kitchen wall, now I know why it was papered :-( The wall has numerous nicks and scratches. Is it better to skim the wall or just use filler and sand flush where necessary. I would need to attempt the skimming myself and not something I am particularly good at.

Reply to
ss

I can just about skim small areas if there is a good surface to either side to work against. But I could not do a whole wall to save my life.

I am always amazed how good plasterers can do it quickly and get a true vertical flat surface nicely polished at the right moment as it cures.

I think you just answered your own question. Filler is a lot more forgiving. Skimming plaster is not.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Fill and sand and then rehang heavy lining paper, assuming your plastering skills are as good as mine.

matt

Reply to
matthelliwell

I did some skimming about 5 years ago in a house I was going to rent, ok job for renting but wouldnt have been entirely happy for my home.

Yes I can fill and sand then decide if it needs lining paper, I think thats my best option.

Reply to
ss

You can get a decent finish with lining paper if you use virgin pulp rather than the recycled muck in the sheds. Decent stuff doesn't expand and contract as much as the other when wet and finishing it in acrylic eggshell gives a pretty durable finish suitable for kitchens.

Reply to
fred

This stuff seems to be good (but a bit pricey):

PeterC

doesn't tear so much easier to get into place. However around windows and doors I found the the stiffness a problem as it makes it difficult to get it into all the corners and edges.

Matt

Reply to
matthelliwell

If you go over it with a sander briskly, dust it, then dampen the wall with a little thin pva and go over it with with polyfiller with a hawk and trowel, it should be a quick enough job you'd be happy with.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

That's worth knowing. I wonder if there's a method for doing it without exposing an external corner with raw edges.

Reply to
PeterC

Get some of the new one strike type filler. Fills huge holes without cracking, dries quickly, virtually no sanding. Brilliant stuff.

The Medway Handyman

have used it here and most visitors think the walls are skimmed unlined. To avoid oversoaking I cut and pasted one sheet at a time, stepped back, admired the rest of the work for 5mins then put up the sheet. Previously I had pasted one, cut the next, then put up the former and so on, the result was too much delay, too much soak and shrinkage gaps on drying.

One word of caution with that company, they are small and just cannot turn around orders in the timescales that you would expect from an online presence. I have previously placed an urgent order then got an email 5 days later telling me there had been a CC problem and could we go through it manually. With 5 days delay I had to tell them to stuff it and buy locally as I expect 1-2day processing on internet orders.

That said, they are a nice bunch with good hearts, just (IME) a bit overwhelmed by their success. Just don't anything to arrive with in 5 days.

Reply to
fred