Stripping wallpaper off painted plaster wall

I have begun to strip wall paper off a painted plaster wall.
The paper came off fairly easily with just a sponge and hot water (with a dash of washing up liquid)
However in places the paint underneath also came off as it stuck fast to the paper.
This left an uneven odd shaped surface.
What would be the best way to patch up these areas.
I have thought of using Polycells smooth-over which has been advertised a bit recently.
Would this be the easiest way or are there other alternatives.
A.
On 16 Apr 2007 06:15:21 -0700, "Londoncityslicker"

What do you want to do with the surface?

I'd like to repaint the whole wall again but in a non 1970's colour (its currently pastel blue).
The patches if paint which came of a couple of millimetres deep. So not sure if filling would be appropriate. And as you've said if you start sanding the filler then the rest of the paint will probably start peeling off too.
Londoncityslicker wrote:

I always skim with filler but you may find the paint that's left isn't that well stuck to the wall