Whats this Building made of?

Described as a Portal frame steel building

that asbestos or galvanised steel?

Thanks

Reply to
Tom

Definitely corrugated, but I can't tell what from those photos. If the doors are corrugated asbestos they will be very heavy and prone to cracking (they look like they are at least 10' square). So I would guess that the doors are probably steel.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

Is there a prize?

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

Yes, if asbestos the owner gets to keep it.

I have been told it might be 'plastisol' but no one seems to know for sure at the moment. Hopefully it's either galvanised or coated steel, it just looks suspiciously like asbestos to me from the inside, although the corrugated asbestos sheets I have seen elsewhere had wider corrugations.

Reply to
Tom

Have you tried hitting it or sticking a magnet to it? Steel will sound metallic; asbestos or other fibrous board dead.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

All of the corrugated aspestos I've seen is easily distinguishable from steel because of it's rougher texture and thickness (asbestos sheets are far thicker than galvanised steel).

Surely this is a question the owner can answer easily, or even yourself upon inspection?

Failing that, a close-up would help of the sheets, particularly at an edge/overlap.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Andrews
8>>>> Is that asbestos or galvanised steel?
8>
Reply to
Edgar Iredale

Look at the fixing of the sheeting to the purlins/rails - J-bolts or self/tapping screws

Reply to
Denny

I only have the pictures to go on at the moment, its for sale by a company that are a bit disorganised and the people I have spoken to dont seem to know, the building is in the middle of nowhere I think so they cant just go and try a magnet on it. We are paying for it to be delivered and dont want to find out its asbestos when it turns up, though it probably isn't.

Tom

The message from Tom contains these words:

Looks like corrugated steel to me. Why not ask the vendor?

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Edgar Iredale contains these words:

Bang it! If it's steel it'll go "CLANG".

Reply to
Guy King

Easy. Tell them that you will buy it on condition that it is not constructed using asbestos materials.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Andrews

Looking at what looks like a join on the back wall I'd have said steel. Asbestos would be too brittle to use as walls like that I think?

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.