What's wrong with this battery pack?

One of the battery packs on a cordless screwdriver has just started playing up. Put it in the tool and nothing happens. Put a meter across the terminals and the voltage fluctuates rapidly between zero and just above the nominal value. (Other pack works fine and shows steady, correct value on the meter.) I've taken it apart and all the contacts look fine. Can anyone suggest what's wrong with it?

Reply to
mike

"She's dead Jim" " It was life, but not as we know it"

Dissasemble and look for a welded joint between cells that has cracked and making intermittent contact You may be able to repair with solder but be careful not to apply too much heat to the cell. Conductive paint and apatite have worked in some other applications.

Reply to
John Weston

Conductive paint useless at such high currents.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

yes, utterly. Solder, or tie together with wire if you dont have soldering kit. If there isnt enough to do that either, wedge the cell somehow for a forced contact.

NT

Reply to
NT

Agreed, but "in some other applications"...

Reply to
John Weston

agreed but those other applications are now what the poster was on about..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher