What is this cable type?

Next door is the subject of a six-digit renovation. In the skip there is an left-over bit of cable, red in colour, oval in section. On examination it has two sheathed cores and an earth like ordinary T&E which look to be wrapped in a metal foil, the red sheath being of constant thickness rather than moulded to what's underneath. Does anyone recognise this description and what would you use this for?

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Ian Stirling

Fireproof emergency lighting cable?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Another one rummaging in skips, find anything useful?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

All I can think of is Pirelli FP

Reply to
Colin Wilson

No, I ought to be throwing most of the stuff I'm saving "because it might be useful one day" into a skip

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Not very different to 1.0/2.5 T&E. The cores were somewhere about this size - didn't look too close.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Looks like the top one on

presumably mains fire alarm wiring.

I now need to write out 100 times "you have not got a use for this and never will"

Reply to
Tony Bryer

If the cores were twisted I'd guess audio, possibly digital audio.

If untwisted, possibly it's for a fire alarm system. Red also suggests fire alarm.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Let the rest of us know where.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Look on the bright side, if your house ever burns down, you'll be able to rummage through the ashes and triumphantly retrieve an intact length of fire alarm cable.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Fire alarm cable?

Reply to
Peter Parry

Plenty of that at work, but it's round.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh I dunno - it does say " Superb voice and data transmission characteristics."

:-)

Reply to
John Stumbles

Freecycle is good for that. You know you're not really throwing it away, it's just going into someone else's shed :-)

Reply to
John Stumbles

Spunds like Pirelli FP200 or similar.It is a fire retardent cable used for fire alarms and elergency lighting circuits generally.

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

Delta Firetuf or Pirelli FP200 . and it's oval coz somebody stood on it! IMHO

Reply to
Grumpy owd man

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , Tony Bryer writes

Well since it "incorporates an earthed metallic screen" there are a number of things you could use it for besides fire alarms.

Reply to
Neil J. Harris