What is Hot boxing?

The main problem is the sheer weight of commercial vehicles being crammed onto roads never intended for them.

We are unfortunate enough to share a postcode with a large educational establishment which is 100m behind us on the main road. Of course every delivery vehicle uses sat nav, so gets half way down our (clearly signed) cul de sac before it occurs to them they *might* have taken a wrong turning.

We don't live in a road, so much as an open cast mine. I managed to get some holes fixed when I wrote to the council asking who could keep the money from any diamonds that got thrown up ;)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Joined up thinking may prevent some of the problems in the first place. In Southend-on-Sea it's almost a certainty that the week after resurfacing a road one of the utilities will dig it up again for MAJOR improvements.

This is the council that spent millions pedestrianising the High Street with artistic cobbles in patterns etc. and for it to be completely destroyed very shortly afterwards when a trench, 10 ft wide by 20ft deep, was dug along the complete length to replace the utilities.

This is the same council that this year have spent a fortune on a (listed) building in a local park but waited until the day the project was finished to then install what appears to be some "green" initiative for heating. This required all of the newly completed courtyard (with a walkways of paving brick individually inscribed with the names of sponsors) to be dug up again.

Reply to
alan

No it's not. All the side roads round here are full of potholes, and don't see many trucks. Apart from dustcarts etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Have they never heard of the mole?

Reply to
harry

Indeed. the main problem, is poor foundations leading to cracking. water gets underneath freezes and whole chunks tear out.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The one I found today wouldn't be much good, very wet and very stiff.

Something requiring a 10' wide and 20' deep "trench" would probably be pushing the limits of mole a little bit. The heating maybe OK. If not they laid a 6" water main around here not long ago using horizontal drilling, just had a hole every 2 or 3 hundred yards. Last month they where putting in a 6" gas main again using horizontal drilling.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice