Ain't Google wonderful!

"From:Homer2911 - view profile Date:Sun, Jul 9 2006 10:58 am Email: "Homer2911" Groups: uk.d-i-y

The wife is 60 in two weeks time - suggestions for a really nice, lasting gift? "

We had quite a long thread but I haven't seen a report on what Mrs Homer got for achieving the ripe middle age of 60.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Maybe there's no PC in the doghouse for him to post a reply with :)

Reply to
Richard Conway

Mary Fisher wrote: [snip]

Mary, did you realise that the meaning of your subject line can be completely and utterly changed by the addition of only one comma or exclamation mark?

Now there's thread drift for you...

Reply to
Andy Wade

Yes, but I didn't use such marks :-)

Andy, did you realise that the meaning of the above phrase could be completely and utterly changed by the addition of only one comma or exclamation point?

This thread could drift and drift ... and we can't blame the heat now :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No, but I suppose it could. It's not so dramatic as "What! Did he buy the wife" though. My favourite example is still "I like cooking my children and missing out commas" which I first saw posted here many years ago.

Reply to
Andy Wade

It can be fun but I'm always careful about punctuation. I have a lot of chuckles at others' expenses though :-)

Now, do you know what he bought for his wife's 60th?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Mary Fisher" wrote

I have a lot of

and we, many at your's.

HLAH

I think you mean "yours" :-)

It's not a problem for me, while you're insulting me you're leaving others alone. It's my contribution to humanity.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Another giggle, teehee!

HLAH

My pleasure :-)

Reply to
Mary Fisher

A ride over Shropshire in a hot air baloon - no filthy jokes please! She was chuffed.

Reply to
Homer2911

I bet she was!

I bought a flying lesson in a Tiger Moth for Spouse once, because of a suggestion on this group, it was fabulous! Last year I organised a day's one-to-one flint knapping course, another year whale watching at midnight on his birthday (the summer solstice) in Iceland. Such unusual things are far more memorable and enjoyable at the time than a box of chocolates! They take more thinking about and planning but wotthehell.

Well done :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

About 3 years ago, I bought my wife a days' JCB racing....she had great fun despite eating too much from the lunchtime barbie and nearly seeing it again during the (very bumpy) final heat...

Reply to
Bob Eager

You mean she drove a digger? Or have I misunderstood something ... it happens.

Our neighbour (a builder) has hired a little digger, I can see him using it as I type. I WANT ONE!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No, she drove a digger...but a proper big (ish) one.

See:

is a lot of other stuff, but the second little picture from the left gives you an idea of the size). The theme park where five year olds can drive dumper trucks, etc. is also very good - they have three, around the country.

Reply to
Bob Eager

It's a horrid site but a great idea ... I might pursue it - when Spouse can sit on a hard seat and be jiggled :-)

Thanks. And I'm jealous! I never missed the Dancing JCBs at the Royal Show. I think I might have a word with Jitu (the neighbour).

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher