Wet Rot Treatment

I mentioned before about wanting to install some insulation below my living room windows before getting new upvc windows and before fitting a rad below the windows . I stripped the skirting away to get me access for the foam material but there was evidence of wetness from one existing window where the pointing was defective . I also removed several carrier bags of earth and debris from behind the skirting ( Gawd know why it is there ..must have been dumped there when the building was built about 100 years ago) and some of it below the defective pointing was wet and had obviously been retaining the moisture . I sawed out a couple of pieces supporting the wooden panelling ( Glasgow Victorian tenement) and the end of the final floorboard and wire brushed the next board where the last 3-4 inches was crumbly ....I might yet saw that part off as it is behind the panelleing and there will be no weight placed on it and it is well enough supported by the next joist .

Having done this and with ( hopefully) the new windows stopping the water ingress is there anything I need to do with the timber in that area ,like spray with some sort of treatment ,or have I done enough not to need anything ?

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Someone I know is suffering from damp in their rented property. Damp wall in extension room and round into the kitchen. It's so damp she's not got really horrid looking mushrooms growing on the wall and floor. All her landlord is planning to do is replaster!

Reply to
mogga

I hope you have advised her to tell him to take a hike and get it sorted properly ....or call in Environmental Health

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

If that is fruiting bodies, it must be fixed or "walk".

For that kind of damp there are only 2 causes...

- Internal leak -- central heating, plumbing, blocked drain

- External damp -- guttering, soil bridging damp course, roof, underfloor water

All of these are cheap to fix - or expensive if left.

Remove the source of damp. The associated rot can only exist at specific moisture levels.

Reply to
js.b1

You don't need to do anything to the timber if it's going to remain dry from now on, and providing it's not structural. You do need to keep it dry though, and that probably includes making sure any spaces/cavities are well ventilated. If there's a chance it might get wet again, then you should treat it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

the stuff i found in similar places in my house is

1) crumbled lime cement and plaster from above 2) blackish dust/earth which used to be wood but has rotted away [g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]