Wet fiberglass insulation

I had a drain pipe from my sink crack in the wall and leak water into my basement. This has made the insulation in a section of my basement walls wet. Will the insulation dry out over time? I have cut a few small holes in the walls to try and let the moisture escape. Anyone have any suggestions? Tearing the basement wall out would be expensive as there is a tile wainscoating in this area.

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

repair the cracked pipe if it hasn't already been fixed

have an expert physically inspect the site and explain how to remediate the damage if it is something you can do; enlist the services of an expert repair person if it is beyond your skills

under the right conditions, the fiberglass can possibly be dried and still used (it may lose a little of its insulating value but still be usable, something an expert should be able to assess)

a dehumidifier (or air conditioner) can remove moisture

inspect for any mold which may have formed inside or outside the wall due to the moisture; remediate any mold or mold damage

make sure all fiberglass is completely sealed up inside the wall (none exposed to any living area) after any and all mold or mold damage is remediated

some opt not to use fiberglass as an insulator in a residence (fiberglass can be carcinogenic), you will have to decide if it is the best insulator for your application

Reply to
effi

Thank yourself for having fiberglass, compared to celulose. fiberglass isn't a favorate food for molds. Plus the celulose could have 'washed' into the lower sections of your wall.

Give the room time, sheet rock(guessing you have this) breaths, so a dehumidifier in the room athe lowest setting will help speed up the process.

Now guessing you get the drain problem fixed, so you might be able to get a referal from the plumber for a professional to inspect the walls. Since when ever in doubt about the safety of your house, you should seek professional help.

imho,

tom @

newsgroups01REMOVEME

Greetings,

I wouldn't rush off and hire an expensive professional to tell you that you should hire him or his buddy to do more work. If there is some air flow the fiberglass will dry out. After the fiberglass is dry plug your holes and forget about it.

Hope this helps, William

Reply to
William Deans