Well OT - Disability

How disabled do you need to be to in order to get a free bus pass?

and

ARW

In message , ARW writes

In Cambridgeshire the criteria for physical disability include:

you are without the use of both arms you qualify for the higher rate mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance you have been or would be refused a driving licence for medical reasons you have a learning disability you have a Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and been awarded at least

8 points against either the PIP 'Moving around' and/or 'Communicating verbally' activities you have a war pensioner's mobility supplement you are an ex-service man or woman who has lost a leg
Reply to
Chris French

I find it strange that these brave people spend all their energy overcoming disability, then apply for help. do they wish to be treated as different or not?

Reply to
Broadback

Not very, seemingly - if you make enough fuss on social media.

This particular young lady is clearly more mobile that most people who have got all their limbs!

[And, of course, once you reach a certain age, you don't have to be disabled at all!]
Reply to
Roger Mills

But not anyeone else who has lost a leg?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Not specifically it would seem, though I wouldn't know what criteria you need to meet to be eligible under such things as receiving the higher mobility part of DLA.

Though IIRC my late father, who was paralysed down the left hand side of his body did receive it.

Reply to
Chris French

Old age will do.

Reply to
Old Codger

Lots of things need to be standardised in this world. I mean taxi subsidies are another variable feast. Often here in London we get the equivalent of a short taxi trip there and back once a week each year, but in areas where thy allow use of private hire, the subsidy can go further, or insome stingy councils, they are much less, leaving it to charities and non profit community transport to run it.

Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Well, she'd probably beat me in a race for the bus.

Everyone should get everything free. Trouble is, there would be those who would say that they deserved to be paid to get the free stuff.

Reply to
Richard

Well, she'd probably beat me in a race for the bus.

Everyone should get everything free. Trouble is, there would be those who would say that they deserved to be paid to get the free stuff.

Reply to
Richard

I had a look at going for that JSA the other day as I fancied a few extra quid. After reading the small print it turned out I would have had to pack work in and I would have been well over a couple of hundred quid a week down.

Reply to
ARW

In article , Brian-Gaff writes

It's mostly only the metropolitan areas which can afford anything like this because of the distorted system for local government grants. London based central government thinks everyone else in the country gets the same level of services which they don't.

Reply to
bert