welding cast iron to stainless steel

I need to weld a stainless steel catalytic convertor back onto a cast iron (forged steel maybe?) flange. The weld was very weak out of the factory and its a known trouble spot on vw passats. I have no problem with the welding itself but I am unsure of what filler rod to use. My weak knowledge of metallurgy leads me to believ if I use any old stainless rod on its own (the flange is much more massive than the ss tube of the cat) I will not only end up with a weld that corrodes quickly as I will lose chromium (not such a big deal really) but that carbon from the flange will mix with the stainless and cause a brittle weld that may well fail. I understand it may be possible to put a layer of nickel down on the flange first and then use the stainless rod to weld the tube to the flange over the nickel layer. Is this as obvious as grinding some flange away and welding a layer of nickel on so as to allow enough room for the tueb to be inserted? How thick should this layer be?

I know it might be the wrong group for this but I know theres some pretty keen minds in here and I am doing it myself!

BTW probably will gas weld it as the preheating inherent should help, I doubt there anything that can be damaged by the heat, I've had the turbo almost incandescent in the past!

Reply to
mark

I suggest you post this to uk.rec.models.engineering. People who struggle to drain a hot water cylinder without help aren't likely to be your best source of advice.

Reply to
Dave Baker

In message , Dave Baker writes

Bah!

I was hoping you might have been amongst the few who could have helped though!

:)

Reply to
mark

In message , mark writes

Can't help with the technology but you might consider involving the professionals.

I was struggling with exhaust problems on an all terrain fork lift and ended up with a very modestly priced stainless flexi link fitted to the manifold by a small firm in St. Albans. They used inert gas but the rest is beyond my knowledge.

Similar operations must exist elsewhere but you could try them for advice. Top Gear Performance Ltd. 01727 850537

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

:-)