Weeping radiator bleed valve/stop

I'm having a problem with many of the radiators in the house weeping from the beed valve threads. I don't know if its an age thing but they are coming up to 15 years old now. I've tried to buy new fibre washers for them but I just can't get any from any DIY store or plumbers merchants. Are they a thing you can buy? they seem to be just over 22mm. Can you buy a new valve/stop? I tried packing the treads with PTFE tape but that was no good.

Has anyone a solution to this problem?

Thanks,

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Replace the valve with a new one...

enough, You will need a big allen key (like that shown on the page above) to remove and insert the body of the valve into the radiator.

Reply to
John Rumm

Which BES product on that page are you referring to - bearing in mind that the OP has a problem with the *bleed* valve, not with the entry and exit valves. [I've never seen a bleed valve which has to be fitted using a large allen key!]

Reply to
Set Square

Funnily enough, I was in B&Q this morning getting some cheap hose (to drain the CH!) when I saw such large Allen keys in the plumbing section. And it sad "for fitting bleed valves" or some such. I came back and looked; it's clear that the blind plug at the other end of the radiator is in fact fitted using such a key. I wonder if, after extraction of the bleed valve shaft, there is in fact a hex socket in the bleed valve too..

Reply to
Bob Eager

Aren't they adapted to a square end?

Is it possible that the original poster has the self venting bleed valves which do have a sort of fibre washer that swells when wet to seal off the water. When it dries it shrinks to let out the air?

Most bleed valves are just a pointed screw that fits into a tapered hole. No washer - metal to metal.

Reply to
John

Just to clarify my original post, if possible, while not being sure of the exact terminology.

The problem relates to the bleed tap? / blanks at the top of the radiator.

Yes, I would be able to get them off with any number of tools. My problem is how do I stop the weeeping thats started to affect them?

I assume the fibre washers are breaking down but havn't been able to buy any that fit.

Would that the problem be fixed by new fibre washers or should I be looking at sealing the threads in some other way?

Thanks again for your help.

Tony.

Reply to
Tony

I was indeed refering to the bleed valve, something like product id

6918. The ones I have seen usually fit with either the square or hex ends of the key (you need to remove the central bleed screw first).
Reply to
John Rumm

Most modern valves seem to be "metal to metal" (i.e screw with tapered point in matching hole) with no washers. Hence if you replaced the whole bleed valve, then you would fix the weeping, and you could forget about trying to find washers since they don't use them.

Reply to
John Rumm

Hi,

Try part nos

7578 12611

or a very good local plumbers merchant might have these.

A smidgeon of sealer on a new washer would be a good belt and braces measure.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C