Water supply pipe

I am renovating my (large) house and am currentley upgrading my water supply.

South staffs water need to know the size of pipe that I require it will be supplying :3 baths 5 showers 10 washbasins 2sinks (4 hot cylinders total 650 litres)10 toilets plus the normal washing machines etc. My guess was a 40mm supply would be about right,but, thats all it is,aguess! any help greatly appreciated. Johann

Reply to
Johann Popp

That's not a house. That's a hotel!

"Normal washing machines" is normally said without a plural, too.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Will all the appliances be used all at the same time ? If not, I think you could show a bit of diversity on the supply. If you were running the house as a bed 'n' breakfast then you'd need to install tanks in the loft for the washing water at least, or else you're talking of a supply in the region of

50mm diameter.
Reply to
BigWallop

Sorry, I forgot to add that the hot water wil be from unvented cylinders, also where do I read new postings as I have been in in this building game for a few years and might be able to help with some answers?

Reply to
Johann Popp

I doubt I will ever use all the fittings in one go, but say 50%

Reply to
Johann Popp

Then I'd ask for something like a 28mm or 32mm mains supply if you think that 50% of the appliances are going to be used at any one time. I also read that your installing unvented hot water storage, so this will need to be replenished quickly if other appliances are also being used at the same time as they are.

Reply to
BigWallop

Thanks for your help Big Whallop, I think I will go for 40mm. reducing the size as I go along but with favoritism given to the hot water cylinders. Johann

Reply to
Johann Popp

There are considerable advantages to be had by dividing and reducing at the point of entry to the house. Run independent feeds to the HWC, the kitchen and the cold bath taps, and they will be far less affected by taps opening elsewhere than a single "rising main" type feed that snakes around the house. Toilets, basins and appliances can share feeds as flow rate changes aren't so critical. You don't care that the toilet feed drops to half when the washing machine is filling.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle