Water meter - yellow key?

Hello people,

Trying to stop the water supply and have found the water meter on the street, Thrown in is a plastic yellow key. Is there any way of isolating the water via the meter and is the yellow key relevant?

Cheers.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

my water meter point (there isn't actually a meter in there, but it can accept one) has a square "nut" type thing - is you meter in the street, under a cover like this?

yellow keys I have seen are normally ones for gas cupboards (with a triangle shape hole in the key) is this what you have?

Toby...

Reply to
Toby

this?

> The yellow keys I have seen are normally ones for gas cupboards (with a

No, it's a long plastic key...similar to a gas cupboard one but much longer and pretty flexible.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

Okay, but is the meter located outside in the street? If so, have a look and see if you can find something the key fits on!

Reply to
Toby

It should fit the shut off valve attached to the water meter. Don't lose it, they are rather hard to come by.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

If it's the bit I'm thinking it is, they are designed to break first rather than let you abuse the shut off in the ground.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Well, from the scant look I had I couldn't see where the key went unless you have to remove the meter reading head first. But I've left it now anyway.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

I've just looked. About 6" below the meter display there is a white plastic bump. The top has a spigot to locate and a square drive to turn. Usually pretty stiff!

Meter types probably vary from one supply authority to another. Ours come from Three Valleys Water Company (Veolia) .

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb