Water descalers

You know the ones I mean, A wire is wrapped around the rising main and then it is pluged into a socket, do they work, is there anyone out there with scientific proof?

Reply to
Howard Lambourne

They don't.

The inly trests so far doe sahow that there is a bit of imp[rovement in exactly what scale forms: The theory being that the scale doesn't form just THERE or if it does it doesn't form into a solid lump. The crystalline nature is subtly altered so it remains in suspension or something.

If its stopping a pump scaling up, it may just be possibly useful.

If its about getting soap scum out and stopping damage to water pipes, forget it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Depends who you listen to.

Some say rubbish, some don't.

i have looked at everything in here for a year and am still totally undecided.

Reply to
EricP

Really???

Reply to
Grunff

This'll help you decide.

  1. There is no scientific explanation for how they might work. If they did work, it would be through a currently unkown phenomenon. It would be unprecedented for commercial devices relying on unknown phenomena to exist for so long without detailed study + explanation. Science just doesn't work that way.
  2. If they did work, you would have seen widespread adoption of the devices in a wide range of uses.
Reply to
Grunff

There's two schools of thought (and for someone who's posting from an address such as yours I'm supprised your asking here!):

1) Oh, yes - of course they work. All you have to do is ask Dr Evil/IMM. He's the most scientifically qualified person here you know. He's got one. It works!

or (the real answer)

2) They are snake oil - there is absolutely no evidence that these things work in a domestic setting; in an industrial setting where the water is being recirculated past the device there /may/ be a small benefit. Don't waste your money and time!

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I have an Aqua Dial. It takes away about 80% of scale. Most makers give 6-12 months no qibble return. Worth using and trying for 6 months.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Or, the one you "think" is the answer, with experience of them whatsoever.

< snip made up drivel >

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Well done, Sir - that of course is the scientific proof we've all been waiting for. Congratulations!

Reply to
Dave

We've had one fitted for about 16 months and I CAN see a slight improvement - the kettle still gets a bit furred up, but nowhere near as much as it did before we fitted it and the same with the shower head. It seems to me that any formation of limescale is a lot easier to remove so in my mind it must have some impact, I was a total non-believer in these things before I fitted it and only bought one to shut the missus up but I have to admit that it HAS made a difference. Franko.

Reply to
Franko

Where is your testing data.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Industry uses them widely. I first came across them nearly 25 years ago. Large boxes on the wall in plant rooms, that "worked". Made in Holland.

Stop making things up.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Dr Evil says they work.

Therefore they don't.

Q.E.D.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Where is /your/ testing data.?

Reply to
Dave

You are making the claims that they don't work. MINE DOES WORK. Stop making things up.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

No. What evidence of efficacy exists for magnetic water treatment is almost completely confined to industrial recirculating systems where the same water passes through a strong magnetic field time and time again at controlled velocity. There is little evidence that single pass magnetic treatment works. Electronic treatment systems have no credible theory to explain why the could work, no theoretical basis on which they could have been designed and no objective evidence they work at all under any circumstances.

Their marketing relies upon giving a very long "guarantee" in the hope that most people forget it is there after a few months and miss the 12 month cut-off (it is a remarkably effective technique now being used in the mobile phone industry with "cashbacks" which relatively few people bother to claim).

There is also an element of placebo or self delusion, I know of two electronic gizmos which could not possibly have worked (One had no components inside the potted "secret box", the other the thermal fuse in the plugtop PSU had failed) yet the owners continue to assert that they are really effective.

Peter Parry

I've come across one in an industrial environment. A colleague put one on the mains feed to about 12 humidifiers, which would use up to 15 kg/hr of water each. It seemed to have a beneficial effect in that more of the scale was flushed down the drain during blow-down and the service interval and electrode life was extended. I didn't carry out detailed monitoring and I didn't usually do the servicing, so this is what the service technoician reported. The test ended when someone unplugged and nicked the device. If they have any effect, it think it's only measurable in the softness of water that's been heated.

No, not me.

Damn, damn, damn, damn! You've just reminded me!

Reply to
Aidan

The problem here is that what constitutes proof to you that yours is working doesn't convince me. I'm very pleased yours appears to you to work, but this one example doesn't constitute scientific proof - how should anyone know if there isn't some other explanation for the effects you observe? For instance, do you know for sure, and have you got documentary evidence to prove or disprove that there were no changes to the way in which your water supply is treated by your supplier around the same time you installed the device? You have not performed a scientific study, yet you are claiming that these devices work as a fact - facts stand up to scrutiny, one example of something allegedly working is not going to convince anyone that we are dealing in facts.

Feel free to snip this as much as you like - this is my last word to you on this subject.

Have a nice day!

Dave

Reply to
Dave