water connection to a washing machine

good afternoon all,we have just taken delivery of a new washing machine,it is a cold fill and for connection to the water main there is a tube which screws into the back of the machine which is flexible plastic and on the other end to fix to the water pipe is a female fitting which has a mesh filter,i havent got anything to connect it in my bits of fittings,it is not 22mm,anyone any ideas please,btw,seasons greetings to all.Bob

Reply to
bramscape

Andy Cap

This is the norm I think

Stuart Noble

That washing machine tap + .. hack saw .. wire wool .. two suitable spanners ..knowledge of where the mains Stop tap is and which is the cold water pipe .. bowel :-)

Mike P

Reply to
Mike

>>> Andy C

Disagree about the hacksaw (and the wire wool). For the sake of a couple of quid, get one of these >

Stuart Noble

Stuart Noble wibbled on Monday 21 December 2009 12:32

cutting valve. Bit more bodgy than doing it properly, but much cheaper than a plumber:

eg

Tim W

that gets fitted to a branch off the existing water pipe ...a washing m/c Tee like this would ( might) involve less work

Usenet Nutter

I take it you havent had a washing m/c there before otherwise there would be an existing washing m/c tap somewhere ?

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

If you do not need a "T" then a Pegler ball valve would be better than the w/machine valves which tend to seize just when you need them. Pegler do a "lever" type and a "paddle" type - the latter gives more leverage, but can be stiff to operate.

An alternative is an electric stopvalve for the w/machine cold fill - as well as the water mains if in an obscure area (stuck as stuck behind a few hundred weight of washing machine :-)

Reply to
js.b1

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

So what happens to the cut out piece in a self cutting tap?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Dunno to be honest, buy I've never seen/heard of it causing a problem.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman