Wasp nest

Good morning all, I saw some wasps going in and out of my vent brick into the space under the floorboards and I'm worried there could be a nest. We've just had a carpet laid in the living room where the access hatch is and I don't want to lift the carpet again. Is there a product to kill the nest, like the ant bait stuff, that they take back with them and poisons the nest? Thanks WM

Reply to
wattie

If its under the floor, they cant get into the house so forget about it.

Reply to
marvelus

|On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 08:51:36 +0100, "wattie" wrote: | |>Good morning all, |>I saw some wasps going in and out of my vent brick into the space under the |>floorboards and I'm worried there could be a nest. |>We've just had a carpet laid in the living room where the access hatch is |>and I don't want to lift the carpet again. |>Is there a product to kill the nest, like the ant bait stuff, that they take |>back with them and poisons the nest? |>Thanks |>WM |>

| |If its under the floor, they cant get into the house so forget about |it.

Open windows?

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

They won't be interested in trying to get into the house and the colony will be dead in a few months, it won't be there for ever.

You're better to leave it alone, wasps do a lot of good in the garden but don't like their home being interfered with.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Wasps do not reoccupy their nests from one season to the next so it will die off in the autumn. That would be a good time to have a look to check that the air-bricks have not been obstructed and it should be safe to clear it.

Reply to
hzatph

Blocking up the air-brick in this weather for a short time should be ok, and deter them if they're about to build a nest.

Reply to
dom

I wouldn't recommend that - if there is a nest they are likely to try and find another way out which could end up being through the house!

Reply to
Richard Conway

Too late, the nest is already fully built - and occupied with hundreds of emerging adults daily. Trying to block the air brick could cause the wasps to become defensive. If it were successful they'd look for other places to leave - such as into a room.

Leave well alone.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 12:50:48 +0100 someone who may be "Mary Fisher" wrote this:-

Wasps are one of God's few mistakes. One can either leave them alone or engage in serious warfare with the little devils. If one doesn't have the knowledge then the first option is preferable.

Reply to
David Hansen

I'm surprised - and disappointed - in your response, David.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 17:44:12 +0100 someone who may be "Mary Fisher" wrote this:-

Which parts of it?

God's mistake? There are only a few, but wasps are one of them.

Leave them alone, or expect a serious battle? I didn't say which strategy I would adopt.

Reply to
David Hansen

am always prepared to do battle with a wasp bike, and can't see why such is referred to as 'serious'.

Now it may well be that the 'Wasp Killer' powder I have is one of those garden chemicals that is no longer PC and I probably should have got rid of a couple of years ago, but all I do is so puff some onto the entrance area - in this case the air brick 'holes' - and the wasps will carry it into the nest and kill it off. Simple and always works for me

- not quite so easy when they use the wall head for their nest and get access under the guttering but any DIYer can cobble together a suitable puffer.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I was a beekeeper for twenty five years, which is why I admire and respect wasps.

I know that they CAN cause problems to our honey bees but they don't always. Other things can cause problems too, we don't see those as having to be destroyed.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Get your trusty vacuum cleaner and place the hose next to the vent. This should collect a few thousand of the little b**gers. Some will be alive. You know that skinny-head youth that drives down your road with his super-mega-bass pounding through your house, and with his window open. I think you can guess the next part.....

Reply to
Grumps

LOL The ultimate Chav deterrent.... Like to see it in action - would make an excellent short video for one of those 'candid camera' type sites.

PhilC

Reply to
PhilC

The Missus was talking about some 'scum' that were occupying a disabled space in a hospital (and still sitting in the car, parked over the crosshatching) while she was waiting to park with her disabled Mum. Eventually she ended up parking next to them and mentioned that 'their disabled badge seems to have fallen down" and was told to "shut up" or "leave it" by one of them. If it wasn't for her old Mum calling her back I'm afraid she might of dragged them out the car .. and who knows what would happen next .. ;-(

I reflected that there were times when carrying a moderated automatic pistol would be a good idea (and even earn you a "Community Action Award") but she thought that was a bit severe and something that would sting them would be preferable?

My oh-so-dry daughter said 'Like a wasp you mean' and then we went onto devices like a wasp gun that would first dispense a blob of jam followed by half a dozen wasps fired backwards (that should also make them suitably angry). ;-)

I read the vacuum cleaner bit out to her just now and she added that said passing Chav could see what the cleaner ( full of wasps) could do when set on blow .. like a wasp gatling gun .. or maybe (assuming the cleaner was battery powered) find where he stops, gaffa tape his doors up then blow the contents into the car, via the air intake. ;-)

All the best ...

T i m

Reply to
T i m

The message from T i m contains these words:

When my wife worked in Harrow Town Hall (or Civic Centre or whatnot) someone used to leave snide notes on her windscreen about her parking in a disabled drivers' space. What we couldn't understand was why they kept doing it despite putting the note within inches of her (then) orange badge. Eventually we caught the silly cow because she'd written the note on the back of an old memo. She reckoned that Julie must be abusing the badge because she parked there every day. "But you can't use a disabled badge if you're working here".

She simply couldn't understand that a disabled person actually worked all day, as it happened only about fifty yards away in the same building.

Reply to
Guy King

I like your daughter!

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

Thanks Shelia ;-)

She's starting to find her own feet now ..

She has the idea of getting a holiday job and the local 'record' shop seemed the ideal place (as she multi instrumentalist and is always listening to music of all kinds). I popped in there just to check the lay of the land and it turns out that they are laying folk off and probably won't be there come Xmas (after 26 years). ;-(

Anyroad up she took herself into a couple of the charity shops (much to our surprise) and after they had repeated 'you know you won't get paid' several times and she was still interested it looks like she now has something more to do in the hols, once a week at least ;-)

Oh and her Theremin kit arrived yesterday .. that should also keep her occupied for a couple of hours, first building it and then playing it! ;-)

Like her Mum, I can see her getting into trouble though due to injustice etc. She tends to stand up for the 'little guys' at school, or those who have other issues not of their making ..(as long as they are 'ok' in themselves though) and with her Tai-Quan-Do (green stripe) she now has the confidence to say / do something when before she might remain quiet. And woe betold anyone who litters in front of her. Just like her mum the other Day who, without thinking, told this huge leather clad biker to pick up his empty drink carton and put it in the nearby bin .. luckily he just said 'sorry' and did! ;-)

She does make us laugh though .. (sometimes) ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

In my experience most bikers, however they're clad and whatever size, are just like the rest of us.

Even the women.

My eyes were opened when I went to a factory for some fabric and saw row after row of 'big hairy bikers' (they were big, they were hairy - so's Spouse) and their bikes were in the car park) sitting at sewing machines. Girly calendars and pictures were on the walls but they were all doing a damned good job, they were knowledgeable and helpful and found exactly what we wanted.

We can't afford leathers but I wouldn't want to wear them anyway because they're not easily seen when you're on the bike. I do like the Hi-vis yellow jackets though.

We're going to more and more funerals. The Leeds crematorium staff are used to seeing us in our bright garb and nobody's ever suggested that we were inappropriately dressed.

I wonder if your wife and daughter would challenge the teenagers who drop litter round here though ... I do and so far I've come away unscathed but there'll be a first time when I don't :-( They're far more frightening than bikers.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher