Washing Machine Flood Valves

Having just turned my cellar into a utility room to take my washing machine and a few other appliances I've realised that if the machine leaks then the cellar will slowly and quietly turn into a rather dirty unheated indoor swimming pool.

Good news, I've found exactly what I need:

news, it's from a US supplier. Anyone know of anything similar available in the UK at a similar price? Or any other clever ideas?

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

1) Interesting idea but extensive googling does not find any in UK. US will be a much bigger market as they tend to have basements on many properties compared with relative rarity in UK 2)Buy it from the US tax will likely be a few % plus VAT on the item and carriage. 3)See if the manufacturer has a EU outlet or volunteer to set up a UK franchise for them 4) Buy it whilst on holiday in US ( or get a friend to do so) something of this value would be under the threshold for customs (I think) 5)Ask on a US newsgroup- you might get offers of help. Private parcels have a much lower probability of getting stuffed for duty, whereas the big name carriers are all surrogate tax collectors and charge for the 'service' 6) This is the DIY group - make something, team up with an electronics enthusiast.

Good Luck

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

on 02/04/2005, Martin Pentreath supposed :

[I have read the other reply BTW]

Have you considered buying a couple of solenoid valves and adding those to a water detection system?

It would probably be best if once it triggered it required human intervention pushing a button to reset it.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

If you have a burglar alarm system fitted to your house, it is possible to buy a flood detection device. They are not generally expensive.

The unit is fitted to the tamper circuit of the alarm. If you are in and the alarm is off and the flood detection device goes off, then the internal sounder on the alarm will trigger. If you are out and the alarm is set then the external alarm should go off.

If you have a neighbour (elderly / at home all day) then they could at least alert you.

Graham

Reply to
graham

How about add a washing machine inlet valve to the pipe going to the cellar, then tap the supply or the inlet valve supply in the machine itself to run the external valve.

So when the machine is off or not filling the water supply will be isolated from the cellar.

If worried about safety use an isolation transformer or step it down to 12v AC and use with a relay.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

I would buy this from the states that price is very good, you will probably have to get a different power supply for it though

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I believe that the hose thread is different, so one would have to buy adaptors and make up hoses as well....

Reply to
Andy Hall

How about a float operated submersible pump in a sump in the corner? This will protect against other leaks such as heating pipes in or above the cellar.

Reply to
John

Thanks for all the replies - some good ideas as always. I've been googling as well, but haven't found anything, except for this specification sheet for the US product:

does look like the threads are 3/4" ones, the same as here, so if I order it from there (and the price does seem a bargain) the plumbing shouldn't be a problem. As for the electrics, it looks like I would just need to get a 24V AC 720ma transformer working off the UK 240V supply - just a quick trip to Maplins then.

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

Martin Pentreath explained on 03/04/2005 :

Do not try to reuse the US tranformer, apart from the voltage difference there is a difference in the frequency 50 v 60Hz. This assumes your intention was to purchase a 240 to 120v transformer?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

We have a mineral water dispenser at work. It takes tap water and passes it through several filters before the water is stored under UV light (to kill bacteria). The water is then chilled.

The unit is fitted with a very simple anti-flood valve.

The valve is mechanical in design. Apparently, you can set the valve to allow so much water to pass through the unit before the water is cut off. The cut off "timer" is reset every time water stops passing through the unit.

Are similar types of valves available for washing machines and dishwashers?

Graham

Reply to
graham

I have a vague memory of seeing something from Hepworth

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The frequency doesn't make a great deal of difference except on synchronous stuff.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Hi,

Sounds good, the only ones I have seen shut the water off when the flow rate exceeds a certain amount. No good for slow leaks but will guard against a burst appliance hose.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Rob Morley wrote :-

Yep, proved that at work with a 350Kva genny, everything works fine at 60Hz ish

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I think our one works on total volume of water as opposed to rate.

Graham

Reply to
graham

A 50 Hz transformer will be fine on 60 Hz, but there is a risk that a 60 Hz transformer might overheat on 50 Hz since, for any given voltage, the flux density in the core will be 20% higher than the designer intended. If the core is already close to saturation - and small transformers are often designed that way - then the lower frequency will cause the magnetising current to rise quite dramatically, leading to overheating in the primary winding.

If the transformer has voltage setting taps on the primary, use the highest one available.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Indeed. In the 1970/80s US made Westinghouse microwave ovens would have their transformers fail for just that reason, no account had been made for the lower operating frequency in that little place called Europe.

Reply to
Mark Carver