Washing Machine / Dishwasher Plumbing!

Two questions.

I have a 3 month old Indesit Washer Dryer and it has a 2 pipes and a Y connector..as I've just moved I can't remember how this was connected up....is it hot and cold water into the Y piece and then into the cold connection on the WD or was it Y piece on the cold water feed and then seperated out onto the hot and cold connections on the back of the washer?

If I want to connect a dishwasher are these hot or cold water fed? Also is there a gizmo I can use with the pipe that currently is used to take the washing machine drain hose?

Regards

Jon

Reply to
wonderlander

If, as it sounds, you have both H and C feed taps available, and H and C connections on the back of the washer, why on earth would you want a Y-connector in either configuration?! Why not just connect H-H and C-C with the two separate pipes?

My guess is that the Y might have been provided with the machine for use where there's only a cold feeder tap available.

All machines will heat up their own water if provided with a cold feed only; but if you can provide a hot feed then it makes sense because yout domestic hot water is usually heated by a cheaper method (eg gas) than your washer uses (peak rate electricity?).

These days fewer machines come with hot feed, because modern machines use less water at lower temperatures than they used to (plus, before they switch on, how many people bother to run the adjacent hot tap at the sink until it runs hot - if they don't, the machine is likely to be filled from the cold water in the dead space of the hot water pipes. (Sorry, what was the question again?!!)

David

Reply to
Lobster

Cold fed to both hot and cold inlets.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 17:39:27 GMT, Lobster scrawled:

Most, not all. ;)

Reply to
Lurch

...if you only have cold avalable, but if you have both hot and cold water avalable for the machine to use (like you said you do), then hot to hot, and cold to cold, and put the Y connector somewhere safe incase you need it later!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

In message , " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" writes

Cold water only normally.

gizmo to do what?

Reply to
chris French

I seem to recall the instructions saying that I should use the Y piece....god I'm rubbish at remembering where the instructions went!!

Reply to
wonderlander

Gizmo to allow me to fit the waste pipe from the washing machine and the waste pipe from the dishwasher into the one waste pipe connection that I have.

Reply to
wonderlander

On 11 Oct 2005 13:30:15 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" scrawled:

No. You will have to alter the pipework to add in another stack for the dishwasher.

Reply to
Lurch

In message , Lurch writes

you can get adapters to enable the waste pipe from a dishwasher /washing machine to be connected directly to the waste pipe, you could use one of those I guess. As long as the waste pipe can take the flow from both machines - just in case.

eg on this page:

item code WTW4W

Reply to
chris French

Stack? I think you mean stand pipe, except that conjures up images of street corners during water shortages...

Normally these are part of the trap and an air admittance valve on both waste outlet pipes would be a good idea to stop the water in the trap being sucked back into one or other of the machines.

Yes, you don't want either machine pumping it's waste into the other or, perhaps not so bad, up into the sink.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That is what I would recommend. There are other gizmo^Woptions available.

Reply to
<me9

How could one tell if the waste pipe could take the flow?

The property is rented so I'm not able to make permenant alterations to the plumbing.

Reply to
wonderlander