Wallpaper coming unstuck

About two years ago, I repapered a room in my house with a textured paper intending to paint it. For various reasons, I didn't paint it until 6 months later. The paper has now started to come away from the wall in various places, mostly either side of a few joins on walls and ceiling. I've tried working a pva glue behind the paper on either side of the joins, but the paper is so stiff from being painted it will not stick back to the plaster. Can anyone suggest a way of sticking the paper back? Also, where the paper is loose away from the joins, I was wondering if I could use something like a hyperdermic needle to squirt glue behind it? Any ideas anyone?

I'll be grateful for any suggestions. Thanks

Reply to
SilverWrinkly

Dampen the lifted paper so that it softens before applying the adhesive. Also, I keep several hypos just for such jobs. Sharps are ideal for getting into bubbles in paper.

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

I've had the same problem with the joins in vinyl painted textured paper on bathroom ceiling. Latest attempt looks succesful so far. I used Homebase 'border and repair adhesive' - the wallpaper stuff intended to stick overlapping borders, and to get vinyl borders to stick to vinyl wallpapers (don't know if it's just millionaires pva, but it claims to be 'specially formulated'). For seam repairs, I use a blunt rounded blade to prise up, and even extend, the loose edge, then paste underneath using a small, flat, stiff-bristled, artist's brush, then press/smooth down, and roll the joint (sic!) with a seam roller (not to be confused with a steamroller, though that might work better). Do both sides of join if necessary, though if one side is only slightly raised enough adhesive might seep under when you use the seam roller. Check over the next couple of hours - you might have to use the seam roller again as the glue dries out and gets stickier. (However, stuff will get on the surface or seep out when you roll it, and, unless you can wipe it all off, it leaves a sheen. That's noticeable at certain light angles on matt vinyl, but might not be a problem on sheen or gloss vinyl paint).

Toom

Reply to
Toom Tabard