wall lengths - fit exact numbers of bricks ?

How much effort should one go to to ensure that outer leaf wall lengths are a multiple of brick module size, i.e.walls being n x 225 - 10 millimetres ? - in like manner to sectional plans that do this for wall height, window openings etc, i.e. n x 75 - 10. Obviously this is not possible if there are other restaints to wall length, but if not ? TIA, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Doesn't matter. Depending on the bond used, you'll still have to cut bricks!

Reply to
Phil

You cant always make the overall wall length work to bricks but it worth trying to get the smaller returns to the side of any doors an windows to work bricks, it will look much neater if you can

-- Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

In message , Phil writes

He's quite right, you will almost certainly have to cut bricks. But bricks aren't like tiles where you just move the whole 'wall' of tiles left/right to get even cuts at each end.

What will you do if your wall length results in having to cut a 10mm sliver of brick at one end of one course? How will the structural integrity of the corner be maintained? A 10mm slice of brick is probably way below the manufacturers limits for loading. You could also end up cutting a quadrant out of the corner of a brick :-)

Okay, let's not do that 10mm sliver, lets shift the wall and even it out over both ends. Now the bond of the course above is out, so now you will have to cut every brick of every course at every corner. Hopefully the cuts will be within bounds for the manufacturers specs of integrity!!!

Hopefully you can cut every brick clean enough not to look sh...ite.

Phil is right, you will have to cut bricks regardless. But atleast for the outer corners of your walls you should maintain the bond. Any course which starts with a full brick should (ideally) end in a full brick. Otherwise its called 'broken bond'.

In an even more ideal world, abutting walls, windows, doors etc should if possible join or end centrally or on edge of the perps.

I'm not a bricky, just passing on what a well respected bricky mate of mine drilled into me before I did my first setting out.

For inspiration, go looking around existing houses, look at their windows, doors etc etc. It's amazing just how much you notice once you start looking for it :-)

Hth Someone

Reply to
somebody

Cut bricks/broken bond are always in the middle of the wall - set out from the corners, up from any returns, and centre any broken bond - perhaps spread over more than one brick. This avoids the 10mm 'sliver' !

Reply to
Phil