Vulcanite

My lunch time drinking companion has started to refurbish his smoking pipe collection. I have pointed him to the right abrasives and polish that should be suitable, but he has hit me with another question today.

He has a pipe that the stem (the bit that goes into the mouth) is made from vulcanite and he says that it goes to a lighter colour when exposed to daylight. He inherited the collection from his father and is keen to get them all back to pristine condition.

Has anyone got any advice for him to get the original dark colour?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Vulcanite ( also known as Ebonite ) degrades over time, the chief visible symptom being the once shiny black surface turning a green/brown. Light and heat accelerate this process.

Mechanical removal of the 'bloom' will restore the black finish - though it will be inclined to turn brown again rather quicker than before. A combination of techniques can be used to remove the bloom, depending on the accessibility and complexity of the piece. A fine carborundum paper is a good bet ( used dry ), or medium wire wool, finished off with 0000 grade wire wool and finally carefully buffed. When buffing it is vital to avoid the piece getting hot - and if it has to be washed it should not be in anything other than tepid water.

Unless the process is done carefully and methodically the results can end up looking somewhat streaky - as such it's often better to leave well alone.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Try asking in alt.collecting.pens-and-pencils, or fountain pen collector sites. It's a common problem, especially for "hard rubber" pen bodies.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Printed and I will passs this onto him next lunch time

Dave

Reply to
Dave