Vokera 80SP descale

I have a problem with this combi, the dhw temp cycles wildly to the extent that it is almost impossible to run a hot bath. From reading various threads and sites, I believe the cause could be a scaled up domestic heat exchanger as I live in a hard water area.

I plan to remove the heat exchanger to descale, probably using Fernox DS3, however the instructions specify

"It should not be used with thin gauge or badly corroded aluminium, zinc, galvanised steel"

I do not know what material the exchanger is made from, can anyone help?

Thanks Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

Stainless steel.

Cost of a new one £50 plus vat from Ezypart (do a google search)

Are you sure thermister is working properly? That's a cheaper part.

If you had a powerflush you would just connect it to the cold supply i to the boiler and the hot water out, and you would powerflush it with a acidic solution which is all these proprietory cleaners are.

If you can get hold of it use 5 parts hot water to 1 part hydroclori acid. Always add acid to water. Fill the heat ex with solution an leave it to do it's work.

Don't burn yourself on the acid and blame me, this is not advice fo numpties. Don't be like the idiot who burned them selves on hot coffe and then blamed McDonalds. Like as if coffee isn't hot! ACID BURN RIGHT! Use it at your own risk.

For £50 I'd just change heat ex but only after I'd changed thermiste or swapped domestic hot water leeds for heating leeds and run hot ta to see if water gets plenty hot. If it does you need a thermister, i it doesn't you need a heat ex

-- Paul Barker

Reply to
Paul Barker

Brick Acid from builder's merchants is HCl........

Reply to
Andy Hall

In message , Andy Hall writes

Phosphoric acid is gentler ... .........................

Better off using a proprietary preparation from Fernox or Kamco

especially if descaling the HW side of a heat exchanger

Reply to
raden