Very smelly drains under sink :-(

My house has recently developed a nasty foul drain smell under the sink. The trap is a v complicated sink specific device (Franke sink) that connects 1.5 bowls and dishwasher before going into the trap.

The kitched was refitted about 2.5 years ago. The smell has developed over the last 2-3 months. On the drain side of the trap there is a straight-thru screw-tight-type connector that was used to connect the new sink plumbing into the existing drain connections.old fitting. On the drain side of the trap there is also the reamains of where the washing machine used to be connected. This is blanked off with another screw type connector but with no trap.

By screw-type I mean not solvent weld and not pushfit!

The whole affair connects into the drains at floor level and there appears to be a little'play' in how the pipe connects as I can move it slightly. Unfortunately it is v hard to see this up close as it is behind the fitted units.

I have taken apart the trap there was no blockage or smelly stuff there. Is it possible for smells to get thru the screw-fittings or is the cause much more likely to be the possibly loose pipe connection or is symptomatic of something else?

TIA

Steve H

Reply to
Steve Harper

We had a problem at Mother's bungalow with foul smells from the sink. Mother used deoderant sticks in the sink drain, bleach and still there was a nasty smell. After she died we were cleaning the bungalow and whilst washing the outside paths I noticed that the water was not going down the drain fast enough. I was cleaning the outside drain where the kitchen sink and washing machine ran into. Good gracious, the outside drain was full of rotting leaves, lumps of concrete from when work was done in the yard and twigs from the buses. Don't know how the latter got there. It took me an hour to clean the drain out and then pressure wash it.

Have you looked at the outside drains Steve.....?

-- troubleinstore

Reply to
troubleinstore

No! - but I will do now - especially since my house is on a local bus route so there may be lots of twigs ;-)

Seriously - thanks for the suggestion - I'll take a look!

Steve

Reply to
Steve Harper

Let us know the outcome Steve

-- troubleinstore webpage

troubleinstore

Blimey. Busses made of trees? How very ecologically sound...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

As suggested it turned out to be a problem with the outside drains (not bus related) that was rectified in short order by a local drains company.

Upside: Sorted v quickly Downside: £50 fee.

Thanks for help anyway!

Steve

Reply to
Steve Harper

Well spotted. I'll put it down to dyslexic fingers

-- troubleinsore

troubleinstore

Nice happy ending Steve, although a little costly for you. Thanks for letting us all know.

-- troubleinstore

troubleinstore