very silly question about meths

Page 3 of 4
snipped-for-privacy@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) wrote:

Yes, it does seem as though we are a little anal about such things over here. I would have thought that it was better to let people have alcohol they can then flavour themselves than have people distilling illictly in their attics and risking methanol poisoning. Instead here, the methanol is everywhere.
Peter
--
Peter Ashby
"Steve Firth" wrote | > It is hard to make ethanol 100% and harder to keep it there, you | > have to use drying resins etc in the bottle. So we use 95% for | > most things. | Yes, same here or was when I last worked with wet stuff on a bench. You | have to watch out for the sugar content of the 95% stuff though.
May wrote:

French polish thinners is one that springs immediately to mind.
Starting old Primus stoves and blowlamps is another.
Also general purpose cleaning, tho isopropyl alcohol is now more common.

It's also a particularly useless fuel for camp stoves - obviously designed to make sure you've earned that lukewarm cup of tea after 20 minutes.
On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 11:42:49 UTC, mad snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Rich) wrote:

I remember finding it indispensable for starting a Primus, though.
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

I always used to use bits of broken up solid firestarter for that job.
Peter
--
Peter Ashby
On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 15:18:40 UTC, Peter Ashby

I thought that was called 'solid meths' although I have no idea of its actual composition...
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

Metaldehyde IIRC
--
geoff

Used to be sold under the name META and was useful if ground up and mixed with bran as slug bait/killer
May wrote:

I always keep a small bottle for degreasing/cleaning where I'm going to put sealant around a bath or basin. Isn't it recommended by the selant makers? Winos used to drink it along also surgical spirit which is essentially the same thing. However, its a killer if consumed and causes blindness.

Lighting Tilly lamps.
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

that's where I saw it! Couldn't think.

In conjunction with a small wad of cotton wool, Meths is dabbed on the skin prior to an injection, probably to sterilise the skin.
Methylated spirits is still widely available in the UK.
Steve.
--
Vehicle Painting Pointers: http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes

Eeek !
OK, so I regularly do this before slicing my flesh open with some mis-placed wood-slicing implement. But it hurts like a bastard - the pyridine. If you're planning to sterilise some skin, use surgical spirit (which doesn't have half the crap in it).
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 00:43:28 +0100, Andy Dingley

I might be wrong about this, but I understood that in a war situation urine might be used as a sterilising solution by soldiers in the field. I can't think of a solution that might have more crap in it!
PoP

Crock o' sh*t, I'm afraid ;-) One of those myths propagated through the confusion between the true statement "[healthy] urine is sterile" - i.e. there's no bacteria or other disease-causing organisms in it, unless you have an infection of the urinary tract - and the utterly baseless idea that it has some sterilis*ing* properties, i.e. that it can kill bacteria. The vague germ of truth (ho ho) is that given the choice between washing a wound with muddy and maybe bloody puddle water, and washing it with fresh piss, the latter would be less likely to cause further infection. But smarter still would be to dress the wound with relatively clean clothing ("soldier! Hand me your singlet!") and get the medical orderlies to pick up the injured...

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 07:14:38 +0100, PoP

Urine is sterile (for muddy-field values of sterile). But it has no sterilising properties.
It's also good for jellyfish stings - but I'll leave that one to the Courtney Cox fanclub....
PoP wrote:

It was highly efective against Chlorine gas.
And, actually, its full of nutrient, but relatively sterile when passed - if that is all teh water you have, its a heap better than nothing.

Could well be that hospitals use surgical spirit instead of meths but I remember seeing blue in the bottle just before I received the needle, (It all went dark after that, ;-)
AFAIK surgical spirit was always a clear colour whereas methylated spirits can be either clear or blue.
Clear meths was always cheaper than the blue meths but you could only seem to find the blue stuff on the shelves, Clear meths was also obtainable in huge quantities, The printing trade used gallons of it.
I have another injection due soon, Think I'll ask :)
Steve.
--
Vehicle Painting Pointers: http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
Stephen Hull wrote:

Strictly that is surgical spirit, and doesn't have the blue dye in it. 'Methylated' is methanol and ethanol and the dye.
Not sure if surgical has methanol or not. Certainly 'pure' ethanol is used in hospitals - mainly by interns looking for cheap hooch according to urban legend.

Yes.