Vertical row of sockets - any ideas, suppliers?

I (well my daughter actually) wants to have a vertical row of sockets in a corner against a vertical panel. I'm sure I've seen such things but I can't find any at the moment.

Can anyone point me at anything suitable?

We want either three or four sockets in a vertical row, probably surface mounted, it may well make sense for the sockets to be angled so that the cables don't interfere with the plug below. A 'trailing lead' type of row of sockets might well do, I'm quite happy to wire it up to an FCU to allow it to be permanently connected.

Reply to
tinnews

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk ( snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk) wibbled on Friday 04 March 2011

09:24:

Sounds like you want a 19" rack type PDU (power distribution unit) 13A bar.

You can get these with a vertical row of 13A sockets angled at about 45 degrees. If you search for "vertical PDU" that should bring up a few options.

Although often sold for 19" racks, most generally have an "ear" on each end that you could use to screw it to the panel. Running that off a plugtop or FCU would be perfectly acceptable.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

You thinking of something like this?

Reply to
docholliday

have 3 x 12 way ones in my study.

Reply to
Huge

What's wrong with a 4-way extension lead, stood on end? Or does that require too much lateral thinking?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Yes, though we'd like something slightly less utilitarian if possible, and without a meter built in as the above appear to have.

Reply to
tinnews

It's almost what we want except that the sockets would be sideways.

Reply to
tinnews

You can't have them not be sideways, the flex would foul the plug below, unless you space the sockets far apart. If you want to have them like this, with spacings, just use a vertical row of single surface pattresses, with every other one being a blanking plate, so 4 sockets, 3 blanks.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

This is exactly why I said (see above) "... it may well make sense for the sockets to be angled so that the cables don't interfere with the plug below." The 19" rack socket strips that some posters have suggested do exactly this, the sockets are angled at 45 degrees.

So, what I really want, is a 3-way or 4-way socket trailing socket strip with the sockets angled at (about) 45 degrees.

Reply to
tinnews

Tabby ( snipped-for-privacy@care2.com) wibbled on Friday 04 March 2011 15:03:

Well, you can have them at 45 degree like I said earlier...

Reply to
Tim Watts

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk ( snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk) wibbled on Friday 04 March 2011

15:46:

Try RS, Farnell and Rapid - sure I have seen some lab grade bars (not for rac mounting) that have 45 degree sockets - and availble with 3-4 ways.

Reply to
Tim Watts

If you don't like the rather industrial look of what's generally=20 available, build your own with these...

could fit them into almost any sheet material that goes with the=20 decor and safely box to make good.

Mount them at 45=B0 all the same way or alternately, whatever takes your=20 fancy.

--=20 Skipweasel - never knowingly understood.

Reply to
Skipweasel

You wanted them angled so that the cables don't interfere with the plugs below. These *are* (at 90 degrees) and should thus satisfy your requirement.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Now that's almost better than our original idea! :-)

I could actually mount the outlets into the side of the cupboard that makes up one angle of the corner where we want these sockets. It's easy enough to make a box inside the cupboard to cover the wiring and Bob's your proverbial.

Reply to
tinnews

Note the max panel tickness (2.5mm for that one), or you won't be able to push plugs right in. They are intended for mounting on steel trunking and the like.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yes, sorry, when I said "sheet material" I sort of meant like a bit of suitable trunking or plastic skirtingboard/piping cover etc.

You're right - if it's going in the side of a cabinet it'll have to have an inset of thinner material to actually take the sockets. OR, you could get clever with a router.

Reply to
Skipweasel

they do exist, think it was either screwfix or tesco I last saw some

NT

Reply to
Tabby

It's fairly well hidden, I think the best approach would be to cut a section out of the side of the cupboard and put a thin panel of some sort over the hole in order to mount the sockets. I could use a router but it would be a bit awkward as the cupboard is already fixed under a worktop. (The sockets are to be under the worktop which overhangs the cupboard at that end)

Reply to
tinnews