Variable heights

Hi all,

I've finally finished knocking down the stud partition between lounge and kitchen. This is where the pros are about to join in. :)

I noticed that the kitchen celing is around a cm lower than the lounge. Both are concrete -> joist -> plasterboard. It seems incredible to me that they would do this unless there was a good reason. Can anybody think of one?

How should the gap be filled? Can it be done purely with plaster or is it necessary to put up plasterboard? (Yes, I'm new to anything structural.)

And do I need to remove the top beam from the stud partition frame? Seems to me that as it's higher than the plasterboard either side, that I can leave it.

Antony

Reply to
antgel

Maybe the lower celing had a second layer of plasterboard added to cover up big holes from old lights or somthing like that?

Reply to
Sparks

Wow, your reply appears before my original post for some reason.

Not as far as I can see, based on a cursory investigation involving a small corner of plasterboard that is hanging loose.

Reply to
antgel