VA versus watts

Harrty: the man who thinks elecrtronic transformers have a power factor and no transformers.

You couldnt make it up.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Youre not onetap are you? :)

Reply to
meow2222

Yes, a relatively new transformer at a bulk supply point, but it's not really that big in the overall scheme of things as the all up weight of the biggest bits of wound plant on the UK transmission network is around 900 tonnes, a third of which is the oil.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Harry you can think what you like but you'd be wrong, as (nearly) always

It's Watts, not Volt Amps, nor Amps squared Ohms, or Newton Metres per second

Reply to
The Other Mike

Strewth!,

So what size dimensions wise would something be that connected the 400 kV grid to say a 132 kV system then ?..

That I suppose we have up the road at the Burwell main station?..

Reply to
tony sayer

depends on the transformer design

Reply to
meow2222

Overall, for the main tank to the top of the insulators, around 30ft x 25 ft x

25 ft, so not far off the size of one 3 bed semi. The coolers, sited adjacent to the main tank are about half that size. In some urban areas the main tank of the transfomer will be surrounded by a secondary structure for noise reduction and will thus be a bit bigger.

The rating plate I previously gave the link to is for the most common size of transformer at UK bulk supply points.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Most err .. impressive!.

Reply to