Using single colour cable in conduit

Just want to check i'm reading things correctly.....

extending the ring mains in the garage, i want to put all the sockets cables in conduit to make it look better, and whilst i'm at it, replace the old T&E cables with singles in conduit for the lights, as they run zigzagging thru the roof joists, and have been used by the last owner to hang things from.

Singles cable is sold in 100 meter reels only it seems, i roughly worked out i'd have a 25 meter run for the sockets, and 10 meters for the lights, and to do it in blue, brown and green/yellow, i'd have to buy 300 meters of wire, (500 if i bought 2.5 for the sockets, and 1.5 for the lights)

I've read that you can use a single colour and sleeve it at each end/termination point, and label the CU to warn of this, and that you can use any colour wire you want except green/yellow, which must only be used for the CPD,

But you can use another colour for the CPD as long as it's sleeved appropriately,

is that correct?

i.e. if i buy a reel of 2.5mm grey singles wire, and some blue, brown and green and yellow sleeve, that'd be ok, as a single reel would cover all the wires i need, at every inspection point in the conduit i'd sleeve the wires just to make tracing them easier if needed one day, as well as at every junction/termination of course.

Reply to
Gazz

These people sell it by the metre:

i roughly worked

Murphy's Law applies to calculations about cable runs. If you work out how much you need, you will always find that you need more when you do the runs. That is not a problem with 100m reels, but might be if you buy by the metre.

BTW, cable and wire attract the largest discounts with a trade account from an electrical wholesaler - I get 65% off list.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

it posted,

Aye, i'm thinking a 100 meter roll of a single colour and sleeves would be better for me, unfortunately i dont have a trade account, or know someone near me with one, seems to be around £22 or so for a reel of grey singles in 2.5mm, would be nice to get it at £14, and prolly get a dicount on the conduit and all the little bits needed for that which add up to more than you imagine.

Reply to
Gazz

account

I don't have a trade account but get very good prices for cash/credit card purchases from the local CEF depot. I should imagine all but the most snooty wholesalers will, a sale is a sale...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On 11/03/2011 16:50, Gazz wrote: ...

I've never found it difficult to get a trade discount at wholesalers. If you are happy to pay by card, rather than wanting a credit account, it can be as simple as asking for it. Buying items like conduit and conduit wire, which are not normally DIY items, helps convince them too.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar