Using pipe bender to bend 22mm copper pipe

I'm finding it impossible to bend 22mm pipe with my new pipe bender. I'm bending like a pro on 15mm but on 22mm I can't even shift the handles. I have to rest one lever of the bender on the floor and use two hands on the other lever to even get it to shift slightly. The result is poor bends that have ripples in their inner side when I do get it to move as I have to keep stopping and starting. I also can't bend long pieces of pipe with this method.

I've tried oiling the metal block that sits between the pipe and metal wheel and this hasn't helped. I also tried heating the pipe and dropping it in cold water and then having a go but this didn't seem to help.

The bender came from Screwfix and looks suspiciously Draper like to me although it's not badged. Have I bought a rubbish one or is my technique wrong ?

Reply to
Andy Hide

Hum, I haven't had this problem. Yes, I do sometimes use my weight on the pipe bender for 22mm pipe, but I've never had it ripple. You might try annealing the copper first, in case it's work-hardened in transit or storage. Heat the area to be bent with a blowlamp and then let it cool off before bending it. If you've got lots of bends to do and it has all work-hardened, that's going to be a pain...

Bending 28mm without a pipe bender, now that was fun...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I hire a floor standing one as necessary. Too big to store for the odd time I've needed one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The benders handles are probably to short to get any kind of leverage on them for the larger pipe. Try extending the handles, either with pieces of tubing or with drilled out bits of timber. This should make life a bit easier for you, and make your bends more neat.

Reply to
BigWallop

I tried hiring one for 28mm tube on one occasion, but hire shops don't have many and it meant booking one of them some weeks in advance so they could get hold of the _one_ allocated to the area. This didn't fit my timescales.

I have an old book on handling copper tube and used one of the more traditional methods instead. This was to anneal just the area for the bend, pack the tube with dry sand, and then bend it under force, by standing on the pipe whilst supporting it either side on cushions of sand bags. It worked brilliantly with no collapsing or wrinkling whatsoever. I then spent some time making sure I'd got all the sand dust out as it was used as a gas pipe and I didn't want any sand dust getting into jets and gas valves.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Don't make things up. You would "like" to rent one.

1" bending springs are available. Most people don't bend and use elbows. The elbows can seriously restrict flow in water and gas, to the point that at times it is probably better to use:
  • 22mm using bends and when using elbows and tees use 28mm with reducers in them. This makes the restriction on a 22mm elbow near that of a bend.
  • Two parrallel 22mm pipes. This may end up cheaper as 22mm is quite cheap to 28mm pipe and fittings.
Reply to
IMM

There are a few things that make the pipe ripple. One is keep all the parts of the bends tight with no excessively loose bits. Old benders ripple for this reason as they are worn. Apply "even" pressure as jerks tend to ripple.

Reply to
IMM

On our gravity fed HW system (to avoid airlocks) I did the two 90-degree bends in the 28mm pipework with pairs of 45-degree elbows. Much less aggro and it looks far better than the original bent pipework in there.

Reply to
Tony Williams

I always use the correct tools for the job - unlike some. Like to come round and inspect my 1" pipework? It's a thing of beauty.

Stick to what you know best. Bodging plastic.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Two 45s together restrict less than one elbow, and yes they do look neater if used properly.

Reply to
IMM

This man is a fool. Anyone who's ever done any pipe bending realises the extreme limitations of using a spring - especially in larger sizes. No pro worthy of the name would dream of not using a pipe bender where needed - and this has been the case for many a year.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And I thought an IMM would be smooth...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

smooth as a babies bum.

Reply to
IMM

Which precludes you.

Not when the pipe is annealed. Do Googl;e on annealing, you obviously know nothing of this. Amazing! from a man who twiddles knobs.

Reply to
IMM

You can't do jobs, you are in fantasy land. Keep twiddling the knobs.

Reply to
IMM

The surface of your brain certainly is.

Reply to
Steve Firth

< snip inane tripe by a shit kicking bumpkin >
Reply to
IMM

And still you think that this stupidity of yours achieves something. You're the sort that gives village idiots a bad name.

Reply to
Steve Firth

So you recommend annealing pipe and then using a spring. Rather than a pipe bender. Any other time saving tips?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The pipe is annealed and the spring put in to prevent collapse. Duh! Keep twiddling knobs..

Reply to
IMM