Using grain filler after sandblasting oak wall cabinet

Hello,

I've done a search here after didn't really find out what I was looking for= . I recently bought a dark-oak wall cabinet, which I had sandblasted, to brin= g back the original light-oak colour. I chose this method instead of dippin= g because I was advised that dipping would not be good for oak, especially = where some of the pieces are veneered.

I would like to fill the grooves and try to achieve a smooth finish before = varnishing. I was reading up about grain filling, and I don't really know h= ow to go about it.

Googling gave me some results: This video uses a thick paste, that also darkens the wood, which defeats th= e purpose:

article uses a paste filler:
article discusses four ways: repeated coats of varnish, prepared water=

-based filler, an oil slurry and commercial oil-based paste filler:

local DIY shop sells a paint-on filler. The shop assistants don't really= know how to use it. If I use this filler, should the surface be horizontal= , to allow the filler to stay in the grain? Will the filler darken the wood= ?

Confused...

Paul

Many thanks

Reply to
ppmoore

ing back the original light-oak colour. I chose this method instead of dipp= ing because I was advised that dipping would not be good for oak, especiall= y where some of the pieces are veneered.

e varnishing. I was reading up about grain filling, and I don't really know= how to go about it.

the purpose:

This article uses a paste filler:
This article discusses four ways: repeated coats of varnish, prepared wat= er-based filler, an oil slurry and commercial oil-based paste filler:http:/=/
> My local DIY shop sells a paint-on filler. The shop assistants don't real= ly know how to use it. If I use this filler, should the surface be horizont= al, to allow the filler to stay in the grain? Will the filler darken the wo= od?

Paul - can I suggest you post this query also in one of the boards of the UKWorkshop forum

robgraham

back the original light-oak colour. I chose this method instead of dipping because I was advised that dipping would not be good for oak, especially where some of the pieces are veneered.

varnishing. I was reading up about grain filling, and I don't really know how to go about it.

purpose:

> This article uses a paste filler:
> This article discusses four ways: repeated coats of varnish, prepared water-based filler, an oil slurry and commercial oil-based paste filler:
>>> My local DIY shop sells a paint-on filler. The shop assistants don't really know how to use it. If I use this filler, should the surface be horizontal, to allow the filler to stay in the grain? Will the filler darken the wood?

Maybe try googling or other forums for french polishing they grain fill as part of the process and should have useful info, failing that if you contact a french polisher direct they maybe be able to advise.

Reply to
ss

filler:

Liming wax?