Untimely airconditioning thread

Page 6 of 8

make
I have had this moron killfiled for eons. He should not read the wisdom I write. He is not fit to receive it.

βœ–
writes

Can't you just killfile the whole of Uk-diy ?
Please
--
geoff

Add pictures here
βœ–

Maxie, now stop all this tomfoolery. How can you deprive the masses of my wisdom?

βœ–
writes

I was rather hoping you might do it yourself
--
geoff

Add pictures here
βœ–
I installed a DeLongi system in my home office a couple of years ago. Nice remote controlled indoor unit with all the moving bits, flashing lights, etc. Not too big. approx 1m wide, 400mm high.
Outdoor unit not bad looking.
Indoor unit came with umbilical containing hoses and supply cable for connection to outdoor unit. Simple installation. 13A plug on the indoor unit (I plugged mine into socket in loft space) and the three connections of the umbilical.
Works a treat.
My only crib is that the umbilical is not long enough but then if it was twice as long it still wouldn't be long enough!
I hired in a hydraulic boom an operator for an hour to lift the outdoor unit up onto it's brackets (pre-fitted to wall) as it's at loft height and is bloody heavy. Ladders not a sensible option.
Total cost... £400 for the aircon (ex demo - usually 900) plus £80 for the boom.
Opinion: Brilliant.
Add pictures here
βœ–
IMM wrote:

A very good question. We have been pondering it for some time, on grounds of public health and safety.
Add pictures here
βœ–

my
Dear snotty uni person,
I recommend lots of bedrest then visit the clinic.

βœ–
writes

Isn't that your doctor's advice - please take it
--
geoff

Add pictures here
βœ–

How come you saw this posting?

Or just leave.
βœ–
writes

In yer dreams M8!...

--
Tony Sayer

Add pictures here
βœ–

Does it heat as well? If so have you tried it? mikej
Add pictures here
βœ–
mike.james wrote:

Good question. I specified a non-heat pump model when I ordered it, but the remote control has several heat functions. But I haven't tried it.
But given that we have CH, I don't think I'll be using it to heat.
--
Grunff

Add pictures here
βœ–
Grunff wrote:

I wonder how the "recovered" heat works out cost wise compared to the CH since the heat recovery is supposed to be more than 100% efficent... if it is cheap enough (and you have a TRV on the radiator) it might be worth using.
--
Cheers,

John.

βœ–
John Rumm wrote:

I'm a little dubious...
First off, I'm happy to put up with fan noise in the summer for the sake of cooling, but if I can have quiet heating then I'd rather have that.
Second, the room is effectively already electrically heated by the PCs - the CH is just backup :-)
Third, I'm on oil, which is really, really cheap.
But I'd be interested in any heat efficiency figures, just from a curiosity point of view.
--
Grunff

Add pictures here
βœ–

The delongi unit from the same supplier quotes - 2.4Kw heat output for 760W electricity used. The millennium is less clear on its spec but seems to say 2.65KW output but doesn't quote input. mikej
Add pictures here
βœ–

It does mention 4.1A @ 220V, so it looks like a very similar heat-pump efficiency.
Add pictures here
βœ–

the CH

if
760W
but
What is the COP?

βœ–

760W
but
True - I didn't notice that info. Of course these figures have to depend on outside air temp and more data on that would be nice. It seems almost too good to be true that you can fit an air con unit for £500 and not only get cooling in summer but relatively cheap heat in winter - not a main heat source but it reduces the cost of heating using electricity by more than half. mikej
Add pictures here
βœ–
John Rumm wrote:

Its very efficient. I can;t remember details, but heat pumps are - even with teh cost of electricity to pump the heat - reckoned to be overall better than burning the oil.
One can envisage a huge underground heat or cool bank, that heats the ground in summer, and freezes it rock solid in winter, being used to heat and cool a house.
I would love to give it a try one day.
Add pictures here
βœ–

This depends on the efficiency of the heat pump. The are rated by their COP.

A US university did this. They heated a building during the winter by extracting heat from the ground. This turned to near permafrost by the heat pump(s). They then cooled the building during the summer by extracting the coolth from the permafrost they created.
The a/c in question is an air-to-air heat exchanger, which generally is the most inefficient. Ground or water sourced, tend to be the most efficient setups. With an air to water heat pump, when the outside temps are around freezing they usually only supply warmish water.
The cost of running them is slightly more than a good natural gas condensing boiler, but the problem is the "very" high capital cost of installation, the main reason they have not been taken up, except in special conditions. Enthusiasts tend to install heat pumps. The government does not promote them as they use electricity which is very efficient from burnt fuel in the power station to point of use. If heat pumps were taken up en-mass the greenhouse gasses would rocket. The government is attempting to get people to use high efficiency, low emission, natural gas burning at point of use. They also have faith in the new MicroGen Stirling boiler electricity/heat boiler. Much more efficient all around burning gas at point of use. Unless we adopt the Swedish method of local combined heat and power, power stations. This is unlikely as the UK centralised power generation after WW2, and is investing heavily in wind power.

βœ–