Under-cabinet lighting above sinks- - safety regulations?

Does anyone know what the regulations are regarding the fitting of miniature/small lights under cabinets which are above - or near - the sink area? Presumably, the low voltage (say LED and halogen) one are OK, but do they need to be driven by a 'proper' isolation transformer, rather than some not-really-isolating switchmode gizmo?

And what about those running directly off the mains (say low wattage halogens and fluorescent)? What can be used which conforms to the latest regulations?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

They should be splash safe or splash proof. Halogens must therefore not use bare capsules. smpsus for halogen lamps shouldnt be a problem. So not much restriction in practice.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

For extra low voltage, you want proper SELV supply, which may well be switch mode, but there's nothing wrong with that if it is designed for that purpose.

Reply to
Tim Watts

There are no specific (afaiaa) regulations about under cabinet lights. The only rule is that the fitting must be suitable for its intended location. So if it is liable to be splashed, probably IP44 rated to be safe. Of course, any new fitting should be (in nearly all cases) RCD protected. There is no difference in a kitchen between 12v or 230v, either can be used, if they meet the likely specification as to fire-proofing and water tightness, and suitability for the location.

It is the same with socket outlets close to kitchen sinks. It is up to the designer to decide what distance from the tap is required. IIRC, one of the building regs states 'no closer than 300mm'.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

So far, I've only found one which specifically says IP44 (in Wickes).

The consumer unit has an all-embracing 30mA RCD.

They won't really be the 'Zone 2' 0.6m above the sink. Even if they look fairly well sealed, I think I'd feel happier with low voltage lights.

Noted. Thanks.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

In message , Tabby writes

Apart from one light which said it was IP44 (in Wickes), none of the others seem to give any warnings about mounting directly above sinks, or make any claims about their splash resistance.

I note that, in the show rooms, none of the displays have lights in cabinets which are above sinks. In fact, hardly any HAVE any cabinets above a sink (which is something I can't really avoid).

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Most of the low voltage light kits come with a power supply (or have a 'use with' one recommended). They all seem to be 12V. But nothing seems to be specified as being OK for over-the-sink use.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

As long as you follow the 30cm rule then I would not be too bothered about the IP rating of the lights. This is after all for a kitchen not a bathroom.

Reply to
ARWadsworth