UFH with laminate - worth it?

My dining room is underheated, and with laminate flooring always seems to have a cold floor.

As I have a deep underfloor void I can access the floor from below, so I was wondering if it'd be worth putting in some diy underfloor heating. I'm thinking of screwing some thin metal diffuser plates to the underside of the floorboards, some microbore CH pipe onto that then filling the inter-joist spaces with standard loft insulation (plus a few batons to hold it in place.)

A couple of things I'm not sure about: I don't know the insulating properties of the cushioning under the laminate (it's only 2-3mm thick), nor any idea of actual heat transfer with such a setup.

I wonder if it would be worth it?

(As for the cold floor - I don't want to cover the laminate with rugs, or replace it with carpet because the room is actually a main thoroughfare through the house... the reason for putting laminate there in the first place.)

Comments?

Reply to
Another Nick

It will be reasonable.

Ive got UFH under laminate here - enginnering floor with 2-3mm of foam..

The real secret is to insulate downwards extremely well.

Also you may find that plastic pipe is better than microbore - more surface area.

Depending on how deep the joists are, I'd use celotex insulation too.

Draught proof everything mightily.,

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher