Two way switch + dimmer

Hey up

My hall way ceiling light currently has a two way switch, I'm planning on changing it in to two wall mounted lights and changing one of the switches in to a dimmer, so it will be a two way switch but one of the switches will be a dimmer, will this work?

Kerry

Reply to
Kerry Hoskin

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 21:07:49 -0000, in uk.d-i-y "Kerry Hoskin" strung together this:

In a word, yes.

Reply to
Lurch

Yes. You need to find a dimmer with push on-push off operation for 2 way. For obvious reasons a twist off type wouldn't work.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

With the caveat that the dimmer will always be in circuit when the light is on, so if you have the light dimmed, turn it off at the dimmer and then turn it on again at the ordinary switch it will come on at whatever volume the dimmer is set at.

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

"Kerry Hoskin" wrote | My hall way ceiling light currently has a two way switch, I'm | planning on changing it in to two wall mounted lights and changing | one of the switches in to a dimmer, so it will be a two way | switch but one of the switches will be a dimmer, will this work?

Yes, if you get a dimmer designed for 2-way operation. They usually have push-push for on/off and twist for dim.

The downside is that if the dimmer is twisted to low, the other switch has no way of increasing the brightness; that might be a concern especially if it's providing lighting for a staircase.

Owain

Reply to
Owain