TRV failure

Is a thermostatic radiator valve that has been left in the off position likely to stay shut down despite the being wound full on?
I have a radiator which has not been used for a year and now will not turn on, an it has been bled.
AJH
Andrew Heggie wrote:

Take the top off and push the sprung pin in - does it move? If not, tap it *gently* with a hammer. Does it move now?
--
Grunff

On my Drayton valve (the one with a shiny chrome head) turning the valve off pushes the pin in. Sometimes it gets stuck and to open it again I pull the pin up with a pair of pliers
Agree. I used to regularly have to try both methods for my parents.
On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 21:53:28 -0000, "Peter Taylor"

OK it's a Drayton trv 4, how do I get the top off? It doesn't come with a pull.
AJH Spam prevention back in, I always forget to re instate it after a reload from back up :-(
On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 22:36:44 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@dtn.invalid wrote:

Undo the knurled ring immediately below the white plastic body
Turn it anticlockwise as you look down from above.
The pin will be sticking up out of the centre of the valve base underneath.
The pin will not move by a great deal - no more than 3-5mm

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Thanks all, the pin needed lifting
AJH

... Place e.g. a spammer on top of the pin and tap that gently with a hammer
--
geoff

I'd have thought they would be a bit soft for that.
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Yeah, but it's got to be worth a try. If it didn't work you could always try a bigger hammer. Might not free off the valve, but what the hell...
--
Niall

If I could find a spammer I'd be very happy to oblige. Only I don't think the idea of being "gentle" with a hammer would be part of the exercise..... ;)
PoP