trowel for solid bed tiling

Where can I find a trowel for laying a solid adhesive bed for tiling around a shower ? I am thinking of a trowel with a vey low number of sharpish prongs (eg.

3, or one each end). This seems an obvious tool, but I cannot find one. I don't want to just use a flat trowel, as you then get into plastering / skimming skills. If I can't find one, I'll make one. Cheers, Simon.
Reply to
sm_jamieson

Why do you need a 'solid adhesive bed'? The normal way is to use an adhesive comb of the appropriate size for your adhesive/tiles and lay the tiles on that bed with a slight twisting action so as to get 100% coverage. If you are reading the instructions on your adhesive I think it is meaning not to do the '5 dots method' (look at the No. 5 on a dice), as this will leave big voids under the tiles and lead to movement, cracking, etc.

HTH

John

Reply to
John

Maybe. I never used the 5 dots method anyway. That reminds me of those silly polystyrene ceiling tiles, that used to be stuck up like that. Simo.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I think the idea is that you in effect skim it to about 3mm depth and then rib the top a little - but not enough to go through to the back board.

If you are worried about getting an even skim, then you could use a couple of laths spaced a bit under a trowels width appart to set the depth - then once the bulk of the adhesive is on remove the lath and fill the gap. Finally rib it before fixing the tiles.

Reply to
John Rumm