Treated timber - dangerous?

Is the treatment applied to building timber (trusses etc) the same in UK as in USA?
Look at http://www.cpsc.gov/phth/cca.html for details of the risks from CCA (Chromated Copper Arsenate).
Peter

Are you a woodworm?
Peter
Peter wrote:

As long as you:
a. Don't eat it b. Wash you hands after nadling it c. Wear a mask when cutting it
you'll be fine.
--
Grunff

Dont burn it in a fireplace etc either

You'll also have the comfy pleasure of knowing that your trusses are made from natural organic stuff rather than being wrought from some environment polluting synthetic material.
--

Arty Flinders

There is a well documented case of a family in Australia burning off- cuts on their barbie and killing the dog and making some members of the family very ill.
I seem to recall that the formula for CCA has changed recently, but I can't remember which of the constituents they have modified,
J.
--
John Rouse

John Rouse wrote:

I think I would be ill if you served me barbecued dog as well....
(and I thought that was just the Koreans who went in for that sort of thing! ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

Rod
Peter wrote:

Here is a link for you to check out http://www.environment-centre.net/cgi-bin/croner/jsp/Editorial.do?cache=true&contentId 689
The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) has published a consultation paper on implementation of Directive 2003/2/EC on restrictions on the marketing and use of arsenic in Great Britain. ------------------ Here is the EU ban EU bans arsenic in wood preservatives 01-07-2003
This news just in: The European Union (EU) just announced its ban on arsenic in wood preservatives, which would include CCA. Here is the article text: ==========================================Environmental Daily News ISSUE 1357 - TUESDAY 7 JANUARY 2003
EU bans arsenic in wood preservatives
The European Commission yesterday announced a ban on the use of arsenic in wood preservatives, except for a restricted number of industrial applications. The ban, to be in place by 30 June 2004, will also apply to
treated wood. Arsenic is the latest substance to be added to a list regulated under the EU's 1976 chemicals' marketing and use directive (ED 06/01/03 <http://www.environmentdaily.com/articles/index.cfm?action=article&ref=1 3564>). The Commission proposed the ban in 2001 after scientistsrecommended tougher restrictions on wood preservatives containing arsenic
because of its genotoxic and carcinogenic nature (ED 11/12/01 <http://www.environmentdaily.com/articles/index.cfm?action=article&ref=1 1217>). See directive text<http://europa.eu.int/comm/enterprise/chemicals/markrestr/ongowk/arsenic /arsenic.pdf>. ======================================================================== Copyright 2003 ENDS Environmental News Daily, All Rights Reserved
Article available online here: http://www.environmentdaily.com/articles/index.cfm?action=article &
Then check out my site for anything you might want to know about cca wood
Take care Deborah
Deborah Elaine Barrie 4 Catherine Street Smiths Falls, On Canada K7A 3Z8 (613)284-8259 snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com http://www.noccawood.ca subscribe to list service at website

For once I agree with them.
You have a choice of treatments, and can use something that does not contain arsenic.
Regards, NT