Tradesmen

Page 2 of 2

To my mind, the main disadvantage of being a plumber is that it isn't only water you have to deal with. If you have the right qualifications, for either trade, getting them recognised against the French ones and moving to France seems to be the way to make money at the moment. Since the introduction of the 35 hour week, the waiting lists for trained artisans have been growing steadily and, in areas where there are a lot of British home-owners, English speaking artisans are in great demand.
Colin Bignell
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 15:17:04 -0000, "nightjar" <nightjar@<insert my surname here>.uk.com> wrote:

Correct. I can't seem to find much appeal for dealing with sewage and blocked up loos. But it's part of the territory.
PoP

Why do you think so many plumbers prefer to be "Heating Engineers" ?
I read recently graduates dropping out of University and training for plumbing that should tell you about the sort of money that can be earned.
Plumbers are incredibly difficult to get hold of for that leaking tap/replumbing new sink etc.. they are all to busy installing CH..... big bucks in plumbing comes from fitting those 3000+ CH systems trade cost of materials about 1000 max so 2000 plus profit per job nice money for less than 2 days work.

availability of jobs than the likely money potential, a low paid job is better than no job.
--
Tim Mitchell

By graduates or by plumbers?
Colin Bignell
PoP wrote:

Just charge more.
Shovelling shit for money is always more profitable than doing jobs others find appealing.

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 16:10:43 +0000, PoP wrote:

less demanding contracts.
However the Megamoney stories the press like to put forward are somewhat exagerated. The 50-70k/year stories would be for someone who worked nearer 70 hours weeks than 35 hour weeks, was also a registered gas fitter, and worked for a legal but essentially predatory agency (the agency would also make the same money as well).
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
On 11 Nov 2003 03:21:14 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (tzd3sw) wrote:

money at your local tech college and they will give you a certificate to practice. Dont worry about competence as Transco are there to wipe the nations' arse and ensure that not too many people get killed or injured.
Once you;ve got your bit of paper you are licensed to fleece the British public who foolishly believe that becuase you are CORGI reg'd you are 100% competent and trustworthy.
joe

Evidence is basically from your employer to say you've done gas work under supervision of someone registered. (Alternatively you can be sponsored by a registered business which is not your employer but which has supervised work you've done.)
On 14 Nov 2003 13:23:33 -0800, john snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (John Stumbles) wrote:

apprentice?. i.e your employer needs a certified gas man so it is in their interests to produce evidence.
How long will it take to amass and produce that evidence though?.
It sounds very much like a kind of .."well i learned how to do it of my mate" scenario. Very under the railway arches kind of stuff.
Why do we no longer have proper structured training so that we turn out competent,well qualified individuals? It seems like if you want to be a member of the "professional classes" i.e lawyer,doctor,dentist then fine,hey lets away to university and shelter in those hallowed portals for a few years and come out wearing our mortar boards and clutching our hard earned scrolls.
However if you want to learn a trade ,well its tag along with a mate in a battered old tranny,pick it up as you go along and have a bit of an assessment at college which lasts a few days.
I know of guys who have been certified and passed NVQ's and they have hardly seen the paperwork for them!. Most of them didnt even see their college enrolment forms and didnt even know they had been enrolled!!.
The current system is a dis-service to the public ,the industry and the individual who has been bestowed with a licence to practice when really,many of them are not fit to practice.
I will reveal my own interests in this matter because its not about oneupmanship or anything. I do feel very personal concerns about the industry i work in and i have real concerns about the safety both physical and financial,of the public.
I entered the gas industry in 1981 as a school leaver and joined the old British Gas Corporation as a craft apprentice.
At that time they had training centres and organisations that were second to none and we served a basic three year craft apprentice which was a mix of training centre,college and district work,out in the field with other engineers.
We became competent with everything from basic jointing techniques like copper joints,lead joints,wiped joints (!),everything right up to megawatt forced draught burner systems and combustion analysis.
I tehn did further study relating to industrial gas utilisation and went on to do an ONC and then an HNC in Building Services engineering.
I left BG about 15 years back and now work for Transco. Many of my skills and knowledge that i have gained in the past are not used but they are still there when required. I now have a leaning toward distribution and transmission systems.
Every week i see the results of work done by CORGI regd engineers who have taken money from the public and delivered mediocrity and danger. True they are not all bad but for gods sake,dont they even know the basics of testing a domestic installation for tightness?.
I see the rise of the DIY gas fitter,people who practice unlicenced,people who do their own gas and plumbing work because (a) they think they can do it (b)getting someone in is too expensive (c) they think that if it all goes worng,Transco will call round free of chrage and wipe their arses for them.
Many of these dangerous occurences are no longer reported via RIDDOR to the HSE becuase they dont take action on them.
It is my assertion that the ACS certification is being used as a vehicle for certification and training on the cheap. True there are many competent people who need to get ACS to practice but my original statement still stands.
Please can someone tell me how ACS can replace a 3 year craft apprenticeship?.
regards

neither ... the big bucks is if you train and then obtain certification and registration as a heating engineer.
Plumbers unblock sinks .... Heating engineers install heating systems (at high cost) and can also unblock sinks.
Rick
On 11 Nov 2003 03:21:14 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (tzd3sw) wrote:

money at your local tech college and they will give you a certificate to practice. Dont worry about competence as Transco are there to wipe the nations' arse and ensure that not too many people get killed or injured.
Once you;ve got your bit of paper you are licensed to fleece the British public who foolishly believe that becuase you are CORGI reg'd you are 100% competent and trustworthy.
joe
Yes, you can trust Transco. Like the Contracted Transco engineer who replaced my meter and left one of the nuts totally loose letting the gas leak. Luckily it was fitted to a cupboard just outside my door so it could have been worse. When the Transo emergency guy came the cheeky bastard tried to imply that I had interfered with it. Rant Over.
Back to the thread.....I'm in the same position and have just started by doing an electrical and alarm installation job for a friend. I'm taking my time to do a clean and professional job and have probably underestimated the work price wise but its all experience. So far I have uncovered numerous bodge-ups that supposed qualified experts have done previously.
On 15 Nov 2003 11:40:00 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@iname.com (StealthUK) wrote:

all the original Transco engineers are ex British Gas time served tradesmen. Slowly they are drifting away/retiring and being replaced by contractors. Of course they are all CORGI Reg;d and have an ACS cert so they are competent arent they??,see my point?.
A lot of the Transco contractors actually work for TML, Transco metering services,they are meter changers,often not front line emergency engineers.